Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about selling my hotrod.

Thinking about selling my hotrod.

Due to changes in life (good things) I find myself with less and less time to enjoy my long hood hotrod. I was debating putting it up for sale and wondered if anyone has any suggestions regarding the process. Does it make sense to list it privately on the various Porsche sites, or contact one of the many brokers who deal in Porsches? Any insight will be appreciated and who knows maybe common sense will prevail and I will hang on to her. I always view myself as a steward of my cars, however it pains me to think that this beauty could be in the hands of someone who could be throwing her through the curves.

For those that don't know the old girl, it is a 73 911 powered by a non intercooled 340 hp dyno tuned 3.0L motor from a 77 930 and running a custom geared 915 built by Gamroth with numerous suspension goodies and 930 brakes (the interior is also very nice and redone, but who cares about that). It is the vision of Barrett Smith and refined by Jeff Gamroth of Rothsport in Oregon. On boost it sounds like titans having sex, really good sex. It is badass!

Thanks for all your help,
    Dan Getz

Name:  73 911.png
Views: 899
Size:  849.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0227.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  73.4 KB

Name:  DAN GETZ 3.0 Turbo-1.jpg
Views: 884
Size:  119.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0110.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  65.0 KB
    Last edited by getz; 11-07-2015 at 04:36 PM.
    Early 911 S Registry #2701
    930 powered 1973 911T

I think you will likely sell the car in less than a day if you list it on your own. That being said if you don't want to deal with the public then it may be worth the 6% to 8% administration fee through a broker. If it were me I wouldn't sell it but if I did I would list it myself and do my best to select the next caretaker of the car. Good Luck.

-Dave
    Registry Member #1583
    '73 911 S Aubergine (VIN#9113301295)

Are Porsches not built for "throwing through the curves"?

Interested to hear what the brain trust recommends as I have a '70S that I will need to sell soon due to divorce. About 7-8 years ago I had a 356C that I advertised locally for $15K and the local cognoscenti offered $10K as if they were doing me a favor. Irrespective of the price, buyers are/were expecting perfect gaps and virgin longitudinals. Not a pleasant experience. Seven days later and it sold for $25K on ebay. I had the same experience with my MK2 Jag where it sold for considerably more than the locals offered and I live in LA with quite a large number of buyers. This will make some squirm but I sold my beloved '61 Jag E-Type to Beverly Hills Car Club. Alex came down and made a fair offer and both parties were happy. My '70S is not perfect so I am not looking forward to selling her.

They are certainly built for throwing through the curves. The car has an excellent pedigree and has been touched by many big names in the long hood world; Gamroth, Ledbetter, Smith, Weidman (why not he did the wheels). I hate to see her sitting in the garage as I put less than 500 miles on her this season. When I picked the car up from Rothsport, Jeff Gamroth stated we tried to make the car as close to "mechanically new as possible". The car rips but simply needs someone with more time to toss her about by the hair. Hopefully you get good money for your S, they are hot.
    930 powered 1973 911T

Thanks for the advice!
    930 powered 1973 911T

member #1515
    That is such a neat car. Should sell easily.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

I'd try here first, right audience for sure. that looks like a LOT of fun to drive.

~J~
    air cooled only

I've loved that car since it was built. Used non-intercooled turbo motors used to be cheap HP, no longer.

GLWS,

Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

One for reference. Not trying to sugest one is better than the other, just a turbo motored car that has just popped up for sale.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/321913184687?_mwBanner=1

Edit: For the record, I don't think you should sell it. I drive less than 500 miles. Just drive it when you can and enjoy it when you can. In the future you may find you have more time. If you sell, it is gone. I would take some time to digest before regretting the decision. Unless it's "just a car" to you.
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

Quote Originally Posted by merbesfield View Post
    One for reference. Not trying to sugest one is better than the other, just a turbo motored car that has just popped up for sale.

http://vid1166.photobucket.com/album...ps5yqwtcei.mp4

http://m.ebay.com/itm/321913184687?_mwBanner=1

Edit: For the record, I don't think you should sell it. I drive less than 500 miles. Just drive it when you can and enjoy it when you can. In the future you may find you have more time. If you sell, it is gone. I would take some time to digest before regretting the decision. Unless it's "just a car" to you.
    That's an interesting build. Here is a link to some more pics and a couple of sound clips of mine:

http://vid1166.photobucket.com/album...psipvefzad.mp4

http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/getz911/library/

Here is the original copy from Rothsport when they sold the car
    http://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-m...930-motor.html
    This 1973 911T was featured in the November 2007 issue of Excellence. The 2.4 liter engine was replaced with a 1977 3.0 liter 930 (K-27) Turbo engine making approximately 320hp at the flywheel.

The acceleration is breathtaking and handling is superb due to the power and lightweight nature of this car!

With approximately 5K miles since restoration the RS flared chassis is rust free and the pale yellow paint is in excellent condition except for a few nicks in the front and rear bumper. The right rear panel and oil tank are from a 1972 car making it appear to be the earlier model.

The interior is very clean with an RS radius correct roll bar, RS door panels, lightweight carpet, rubber floor mats, GTS (ST) drivers and (RS) passenger seats. The instruments are bright and the clock has been replaced with a turbo boost gauge.

The wheels are (date matched 1976) 7 & 8 x 15 with Weidman RSR finish. The brakes are 930 Turbo with modified 23mm master cylinder. It has Bilstein shocks with custom valved inserts, an 18mm through the body 1976 turbo only front sway bar, 18mm rear sway bar, 21mm front and 26mm rear Sanders hallow torsion bars.

The build sheet shows the 3.0 liter Turbo engine was rebuilt 35K miles ago from the crank up in 1992 by Gordon Ledbetter with new Mahle pistons & cylinders.

The gearbox is a 915 with limited slip differential, freshly rebuilt by Rothsport with zero miles.

Also the top end has been rebuilt by Rothsport and has zero miles on it.

The oil cooler is a front mounted Carrera cooler and the exhaust is 3.3 liter Turbo with a straight pipe.

If you have any questions please contact rothsport@frontier.com
    In addition to that listed above: Front and rear bumpers where resprayed, custom exhaust fabricated by Rothsport with ability to cap the center pipe, transmission was custom geared (2-5) during the rebuild with installation of a wevo short shift kit. Added a second front mounted intercooler (car runs cool even on 90+ degree days). The car spent almost 3 days on the dyno being tuned. RS carpet kit installed (floor mats pictured are now replaced). Top end of the motor was also done prior to purchase. The car was basically gone over by Jeff Gamroth and he repaired anything that he felt need to be addressed. I have extensive receipts including the work done by Barrett.
    Last edited by getz; 11-10-2015 at 05:17 AM.
    930 powered 1973 911T