Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: montana vehicle registration

montana vehicle registration

has anyone gone through the LLC process in Montana to save some registration fees? I assume you need a local Montana attorney?
    appreciate if anyone has insight here.

I haven't. But I live in Montana. It's pretty common, from what I understand, both for RV and car people. The services are run by attorneys. You can find them online. You certainly don't need an attorney to set up a Montana LLC, but doing it by yourself would require making a trip to the DMV. But I have heard that some states have gone after people who use the Montana loophole. You might also check to see what it does to your insurance rates.
    '66 912 with a 2.2
    '62 Lotus Seven S2
    '66 Lotus Elan
    '63 Karmann Ghia convertible
    '76 Alfa Spider

It's more than just registration fees, there is no sales tax in MT. I see MT plates on cars all over the place, can't believe the loop hole will stay open forever. The DMV require proof of residency now in the not to distant past they didn't.

Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

A few years back when I was in CT the state launched some kind of task force to go after people residing in CT who were using the MT loophole to avoid property taxes on high-value cars. An acquaintance of mine went down hard - a six-figure penalty and was worried about criminal charges for awhile. So, be careful whatever you do.

"The Man" wants his pound of flesh.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

"The Man" wants to do needed highway and street repairs and the gas tax is entirely inadequate to cover the needs.

Tax evasion is a biggie and will get more attention in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by 37yrold911 View Post
    "The Man" wants to do needed highway and street repairs and the gas tax is entirely inadequate to cover the needs.
    That's a very broad statement where the truth is much more nuanced. But this isn't the forum for that discussion.

If one attends a local Cars and Coffee event in the affluent Northern Virginia area, you might think you are in Montana with the number of high-end cars sporting those tags.

Were DMV and the State Police to show up uninvited it could be interesting.

Property taxes on vehicle in Virginia are based on where they are primarily garaged. Montana has allowed this ruse through the legalized ??? formation of LLC's to hold title. I'd call it subterfuge.

Montana LLC Creation and Vehicle Registration (I hear the door shutting.....)

https://llctlc.com/montana/llc/vehic...KnzhoCl_Xw_wcB

If you do feel inclined to blow a whistle in NVA, here's a start.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dta/taxevaders/

https://taxes.arlingtonva.us/vehicle...rt-tax-evader/
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

It's not that Montana has allowed this ruse, since the state has little to gain from it. It's simply that the state has no sales tax or vehicle inspection. It's easy to set up an LLC in most states. I happen to live in Montana. If I wanted to set up an LLC in Virginia and register my work vehicles there (and pay Va. taxes) I could certainly do that. Not saying it's ethical, but I don't see it ending anytime soon. Check the most recent issues of Esses. I noticed a few Montana plates in the photos.
    '66 912 with a 2.2
    '62 Lotus Seven S2
    '66 Lotus Elan
    '63 Karmann Ghia convertible
    '76 Alfa Spider