Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine lid pops open while driving

Engine lid pops open while driving

Hi all,

Lately my engine lid would not stay closed during the drive. I tried adjusting the latch so that the spring has more tention, but that did not help. Did anyone here experience such an issue? If I remove the latch, are there any other adjustments that can be made?

Thank you in advance

Stan Parkanski

Stan- have you verified that the release cable and mechanism that the piece connected to the engine engages with, release. I had the same problem and found the mechanism needed cleaning and the release cable's tube was full of crud. Clean and lubed both and worked well.

Ideally when when pulls the engine cover release, the engine lid should pop open since it has a spring on the piece attached to the cover.

When you close your lid do you hear the latch catching? It maybe that you need to adjust outwards the piece attached to the engine cover.
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Quote Originally Posted by Haasman View Post
    Stan- have you verified that the release cable and mechanism that the piece connected to the engine engages with, release. I had the same problem and found the mechanism needed cleaning and the release cable's tube was full of crud. Clean and lubed both and worked well.

Ideally when when pulls the engine cover release, the engine lid should pop open since it has a spring on the piece attached to the cover.

When you close your lid do you hear the latch catching? It maybe that you need to adjust outwards the piece attached to the engine cover.
    Thanks for your reply. The car was restored a year ago. Everything seems to be working properly when stationary. The lid closes and stays shut even when I wiggle and shake and pull on the lid semi-aggressively. It opens when the release cable is pulled just like it should and the lid latches back without any signs of malfunction, so I do not think there is any gunk in the cable line. However as I go for a drive it pops open almost immediately. The issue has to be in the latch.

Stan - I replaced the gas-strut on my 68 a couple of years ago and the new strut seemed to torque the lid a bit and it sometimes pops open when crossing railroad tracks. My latch is clean and lubed and seems well adjusted. Might try very minor tweaks to the adjustment.

The bottom of the latch can get worn after thousands of uses, creating an angled ramp that won't hold the plunger lip firmly. I had the same problem and it was finally fixed by getting a new latch.
    Jeff Jensen

I have more experience dealing with the same problem on the front latch, but there are a couple of things I would check. If the plunger lip is worn, you can turn it to catch on a different edge. Look at where the plunger meets the receiver when you are closing the lid. Most likely, it is off center a little bit, and that is causing it to pop out when you drive. If that doesn't work, you can check your cable adjustment to make sure it is opening and closing fully.
    Ed Mayo gave a great presentation about doing these adjustments at the French Lick PCA Parade technical sessions. If the above doesn't work, I bet he could provide some additional tips.
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

I'm betting you are more lucky than a car I knew. After a few attempts to "adjust"" the pin and latch it was discovered the front panel was replaced and almost 3/4" inboard of where it should have been... The fix required removing the panel and re-welding it where it belonged.

yea- that would be a bummer.
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

I've had a very similar issue before. On mine, the cable for the lower receiver had to be adjusted with a screwdriver. I lubed up the crescent that holds the plunger while I was at it too.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  29.2 KB
    Greg

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't...you're right.” - Henry Ford

member #1515
    Ed did a write up here a while ago on adjustment. Make sure your plunger is centered in the opening. Clamp it open with a vise grip at the handle while checking.

same procedure for rear
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...h+cable+adjust
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs