Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Door/window seal installation

Door/window seal installation

I have a1972 911T and am trying to replace the rubber/felt seal that runs horizontally along the bottom of the door window. I bought OEM Porsche seals (not repros), part number 901.531.933.20 from Pelican and am trying to thread the rubber seal into the chrome trim piece. I have tried freezing the rubber seal to shrink it and heated the chrome piece to expand it, and then use soapy water to try and lubricate - none of which worked. Any ideas on how to thread this new seal onto the trim piece? Thanx in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Harry
    Early 911s Registry Member # 3046
    1970 911T w/3.2L
    R Gruppe # 780
    2003 Boxster S
    2007 997.1 GT3
    2018 Macan S

member #1515
    You need to pop the trim piece off and slide the seal on. A little silicone greaser soapy water should do the trick. Don't cut the excess until you have trial fitted to get it just the right length.
    It looks like you may have it reversed. The bead goes on the trim piece.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Shift Knob Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    You need to pop the trim piece off and slide the seal on. A little silicone greaser soapy water should do the trick. Don't cut the excess until you have trial fitted to get it just the right length.
    He is correct, I'm not sure you could get it installed without removing the trim. The trim is held in place with a few spring clips, should remove easily with a little gentle persuasion.

Mark..

And use the new metal trim clips to hold on the chrome strip. Much better than the original plastic ones. My new trim slid into the chrome strip very easily witha bit of soapy water. I then put a couple of dabs of silicone sealant on the rubber trim so id didn't move about.

Been there and done that. What I learned was: Dawn dishwashing detergent, straight, non-diluted.

I tried: silicone spray and paster, WD40 (which should be used on rubber anyway because its petroleum based), super slick this, super slick that, even personal lubricants.

Just Dawn, undiluted. Nice too because when done, just wash it off.
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Quote Originally Posted by Haasman View Post
    (which should never be used on rubber anyway because its petroleum based)
    Just an assist.

OK, so I took the moulding pieces and the new seals to a reputable auto body repair shop and after 10 days, they gave up. I got them back today and tried Haasman's advice of using straight Dawn liquid soap. I had to have the spousal unit hold on to one end of the moulding and thread in the seal, while I pulled the other end using a pair of pliers. Ridiculously hard to get the seal in but finally made it. While I had bought OEM Porsche parts, clearly these seals just didn't fit correctly (I am assuming that the chrome moulding pieces were original also, as they didn't look to have ever been removed except for repainting the car). I also replaced all of the small clips with the new metal ones.
    Harry
    1970 911T w/3.2L
    R Gruppe # 780
    2003 Boxster S
    2007 997.1 GT3
    2018 Macan S

Not to hijack this thread, but speaking of clips, on the backside of the chrome trim, along with those metal clips, is a plastic block (called a "guide wedge, PN 901 531 439 20) that also slides into the channel along with the clips. Does anyone know if they are still available anywhere? I tried the usual places, to no avail. Thanks.
    Steve Meltsner

Quote Originally Posted by Jetjok View Post
    Not to hijack this thread, but speaking of clips, on the backside of the chrome trim, along with those metal clips, is a plastic block (called a "guide wedge, PN 901 531 439 20) that also slides into the channel along with the clips. Does anyone know if they are still available anywhere? I tried the usual places, to no avail. Thanks.
    Steve,
    I did not see that part you reference in either of my chrome mouldings nor do I see it listed on the 1972 PET. I just have 7 of the clips inserted in the backside of the chrome moulding which snap into the holes at the top of door panel (that part was easy! )
    Harry
    1970 911T w/3.2L
    R Gruppe # 780
    2003 Boxster S
    2007 997.1 GT3
    2018 Macan S

Door/Window seal Instalation

I had posted this thread also on Pelican and got a reply this morning that perhaps there was a change made to the design of the chrome mouldings somewhere in the 1972 MY. My car (0101) was perhaps early in the model year and maybe they made a change later which would explain why some of us were having such a hard time inserting the OEM seals and others said it just slid right in.
    Harry
    1970 911T w/3.2L
    R Gruppe # 780
    2003 Boxster S
    2007 997.1 GT3
    2018 Macan S