Thread: And Speaking of Extinguishers . . . (FS: @autotechnikauktion.de)

And Speaking of Extinguishers . . . (FS: @autotechnikauktion.de)

. . . nice little vintage touch, I think --- provided you don't ever have to actually use these

1 + 2) 'Total' . . .
    http://www.autotechnikauktion.de/mg/...tuelle_auktion

3) 'Gloria' . . .
    http://www.autotechnikauktion.de/mg/...tyle=right&Mx=

(Not mine)

(Mine came w/ a 'Vulcan')
    Attached Images Attached Images

We Can Be Heroes

Hi Rick

The extinguishers in my early model-year '73 are slightly later typ Avus 1 by Gloria. ( I have four of them all dated between late 1972 and early 1973 ). There is a printed date ( month /year) as shown but also on the base a date code stamped into the cylinder itself. These extinguishers / brackets/ boxes / sticker for window all look like this example. This one slightly post dates my Feb 1973 delivery car but the others are in the car including the one that came with it dated 1972 - presumably original to the car, but who knows for sure. I also keep a modern in-date extinguisher handy as don't want to find these old decorative ones despite being heavy and filled don't actually work in the time of need!

Box lists the applicable cars along with suggested fitting location/s ...list effective from 6/72 and specifically it includes Porsche 911 with recommendation to fit "on the tunnel" and also the 914.

None of mine from 72/3 are for sale, just posting this picture here for comparison to the earlier examples to show the change for those with 72/3 model year cars.

This version went on in similar form until late 78 with only the list of cars on box changing - I do have a spare 6/78 example too in great shape but in a more worn box that is not of use to me that also shows 911 application in an updated list of cars; it would be relevant for an impact bumper car of that period for decorative purposes.

Bits and bobs for early 70s cars have gone up in price a lot of late apparently and I understand hazchem shipping is also an factor for extinguishers between some locations adding further cost if postage is required.

Steve

image.jpg
    Last edited by 911MRP; 12-15-2015 at 10:20 PM.

This is other Gloria Avus 1 example I mentioned in previous old post. It is marked 12/72 in two places -- the same as production month of my car -- this example is usually in the car but happened to be to hand today.

Nice condition having lived in its box from new. Box had survived quite well too for 45 year old original; the printed stuff on carton side references the ADAC magazine maybe featured in a product test in 6/72? It specifies tunnel fitment for the Porsche 911.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

None of my extinguishers from 72/3 are for sale but sharing these pictures for those who might like to see a nos original accessories relevant for the model year 73 era.

While there are some variations over the years to these old extinguishers. The ones I've got / shown here plus others of same type have manufacturer dates that show this was the Gloria Avus version contemporary with Carrera RS during their main production period from late 72 through to the summer of 73; obviously for that year's T/E/S models and are fitment for 914 too.

Mentioned favourably in a British motoring magazine of around that era, Gloria Avus 1 was a product by Hella here in the UK, apparently.
    image.jpg

Just for show now as wouldn't think any of that era are serviceable enough to be relied on in emergency today.

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 07-27-2017 at 03:42 PM.

Hi Steve I will be in UK in Sept. and would like to buy your 6/78 extinguisher if it would be possible to slip it into my suitcase for the return journey. Doug

Certainly Doug. I'll dig it out and put it aside for you if you want it -- let's connect by PM. If you are in central London we could meet up at the Royal Automobile Club Pall Mall the historic home of all things motoring in the UK?

Depending on timing and availability of your visit in September I would strongly recommended you take in the Goodwood Revival and the Classics at the Castle. Goodwood Revival as you might know is large scale world-class historic Motorsport event. Details here: https: //www.goodwood.com/flagship-events/goodwood-revival/. Classics at the Castle is an excellent -- smaller by far but very nicely done -- early Porsche event held in the shadow of a 900 year old Norman keep in Essex. Think it is back on again this year on Sunday 3rd September -- returning after a one year break: "The aim is to showcase 50 examples in a chronological sequence that will include all the models in the ‘S’ production spectrum, including those built in the Porsche AG period until the ‘S’ designation was deleted."

There is a regular meeting of DDKers every third Wednesday in the Fairmile pub in Cobham Surrey. Roughly 25 miles from central London in the city commuter belt also if no car reachable by train from Waterloo station. Quite informal this meeting varies a lot in scale of attendance but is a good relaxed place to meet early Porsche friends a number of whom frequent this forum, particularly if it is a sunny evening when more Porsche cars come out and park on the pub's front lawn.

I'll probably be at all three events. Uli, whom I met through this forum, was such a great help on my trip to Stuttgart it would be nice in the same spirt to be able help you on your visit to UK. Let me know if I can be of assistance with pointers on car events -- if they are of interest and you have time?

ATB

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 07-27-2017 at 03:43 PM.

Hi Steve I know the RAC building so it would be super easy to meet up there. Classics at the Castle sounds fantastic but I fear Sept.3 may be too early for me. Will let you know via PM. Many Thanks Doug