Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 or 5 bar grille for 69

3 or 5 bar grille for 69

Is MY69 supposed to be 3,5 or maybe either/or? Mine is three and I have never been called out for it being wrong. Did the Targa have a 5 bar? Someone telling me I should have a 5 bar on my coupe.
    Last edited by Bob Harriman; 11-21-2015 at 04:11 PM.

Three is correct.

Thanks. Somebody scared my ass.

There is a 69 5 bar for sale here on the FS thread. Did they do both in 69?

68.5-69 3 bar. Early 68 models had split grill/decklid. Also, 68.5-69 deckled are model year specific. 70+ deckled have tabs to support the bars.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Quote Originally Posted by bob tilton View Post
    68.5-69 3 bar. Early 68 models had split grill/decklid. Also, 68.5-69 deckled are model year specific. 70+ deckled have tabs to support the bars.
    Interesting. What's the difference between a 68.5 and a 69 decklid?
    Early 911S Registry #888

Nothing.

Info was in regards to 70+ being different from 68.5-69.

70+ decklid have support tabs for the 5 bar grille. 68.5-69 has ONE support tab in the center.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harriman View Post
    There is a 69 5 bar for sale here on the FS thread. Did they do both in 69?
    If we believe the super original tangerine 69 for sale at Willhoit is all original, then yes, 69's came with both. That car has a 3 bar grill, my friends still original owner 69 came with a 5 bar. Further VIN evidence could probably narrow down the running changeover if someone wanted a research project

Did I open and old box of nails? I never knew this in 16 years. Learn something new every day

1969 cars didn't come with both. This isn't one of those fuzzy bleed-into-the-next-year things like the texture of a toolbag. 1969 MY cars were delivered with 3-bar grills and the 5-bar grills were an improvement for 1970 MY cars. Knowing what we know about the factory at the time, that certainly doesn't mean that a 1969 car couldn't have left the factory with an incorrect 5-bar grill but it would be a mistake to say that 1969 cars "came with both". A 1969 car should have a 3-bar grill.

At least that's my $.02.