Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Post. What should I do with my 68 project?

First Post. What should I do with my 68 project?

Actually, its my second or third post but I cannot remember my password. A brief backstory on me. I owned a custom bodyshop/performance shop in Illinois for the last ten years or so. Over the past years I have built and owned some incredible cars. Unfortunately, the daily grind got to me and I decided that my personal happiness was more important, so I sold to a large corporation. Of all my projects, one car that has been in my life since 2008 has held a special place in my heart. In 2008 I was contacted by a Porsche builder and asked to paint a customers car. The car arrived bead blasted, acid dipped and in fantastic condition. We spent some time on the body, but overall the metal work was easy. The paint job however was a different story. The owner of the car at the time was planning on making this 68 the crown jewel of his collection. After numerous meetings we arrived to one conclusion...Price was no object. 15 layers of Spies Hecker clear coat and $60,000 later I was done with my most expensive paint job ever. If you are not familiar with paint, after every three layers of clear, the car needs to be rescuffed and prepped, just like a new paint job(the underside and wheel tubs are just as nice.) Once completed, the car went back to the builder to be finished.
    Fast forward to 2013 or so, I find out the car is still at the builder unfinished. I reach out to the owner and strike a deal to purchase the unfinished project. Over the next year or so, I drop in the motor, start the wiring with all plans on finishing. Unfortunately for me, and the car, after selling my business I realize that I do not have the time nor the employees at my disposal to finish her.
    So here is my question to all: do I finish her as anticipated(sending to Kelly Moss, Accumoto or Perfect Power) or do I sell as is? I have 70% of everything needed to complete with the exception of a steering wheel and hardware to attach body panels. I have over $70,000 in parts receipts for the motor, trans, engine and misc. Here is a quck breakdown of some of the bigger stuff:

Carquip 901 trans build. $10,620.00
    Clewett Engineering TEC-GT So Kit. $5750.00
    Pauter Billet Rods. $1500.00
    Fall Line Racing Cage. $2500.00
    Engine Builders Supply Parts. $7700.00
    Elephant Racing Von street coilovers $8900.00

What the heck do I do with her? She is a COA California car with basically every nut and bolt brand new. Sadly, all I have in my computer is one picture from the cover of a magazine that makes it look like a toy. I will snap some more tomorow and add to this thread if anyone is interested. The links are to a few of my other cars in case you question the validity of this thread.

http://bringatrailer.com/2010/07/13/...rally-tribute/
    http://bringatrailer.com/2013/09/26/...930-cabriolet/
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by autowerks; 03-08-2017 at 08:48 AM.

10k to rebuild the 901? Am I missing something.

901...$1750
    Gearsets...$3125
    904 mainshaft....$950.00
    GT 904 Limited Slip....$2195.00
    Cryogenic and REM Micropolishing....$1500.00
    Labor and freight....$290.00

Did you buy it to re-sell or to keep?
    If you bought it to keep then just work on it when you can.
    If you bought it to finish and sell then there may be some other venues that will appreciate the customization more than this forum.
    Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by autowerks View Post
    Actually, its my second or third post but I cannot remember my password. A brief backstory on me. I owned a custom bodyshop/performance shop in Illinois for the last ten years or so. Over the past years I have built and owned some incredible cars. Unfortunately, the daily grind got to me and I decided that my personal happiness was more important, so I sold to a large corporation. Of all my projects, one car that has been in my life since 2008 has held a special place in my heart. In 2008 I was contacted by a Porsche builder and asked to paint a customers car. The car arrived bead blasted, acid dipped and in fantastic condition. We spent some time on the body, but overall the metal work was easy. The paint job however was a different story. The owner of the car at the time was planning on making this 68 the crown jewel of his collection. After numerous meetings we arrived to one conclusion...Price was no object. 15 layers of Spies Hecker clear coat and $60,000 later I was done with my most expensive paint job ever. If you are not familiar with paint, after every three layers of clear, the car needs to be rescuffed and prepped, just like a new paint job(the underside and wheel tubs are just as nice.) Once completed, the car went back to the builder to be finished.
    Fast forward to 2013 or so, I find out the car is still at the builder unfinished. I reach out to the owner and strike a deal to purchase the unfinished project. Over the next year or so, I drop in the motor, start the wiring with all plans on finishing. Unfortunately for me, and the car, after selling my business I realize that I do not have the time nor the employees at my disposal to finish her.
    So here is my question to all: do I finish her as anticipated(sending to Kelly Moss, Accumoto or Perfect Power) or do I sell as is? I have 98% of everything needed to complete with the exception of a steering wheel and hardware to attach body panels. I have over $70,000 in parts receipts for the motor, trans, engine and misc. Here is a quck breakdown of some of the bigger stuff:

Carquip 901 trans build. $10,620.00
    Clewett Engineering TEC-GT So Kit. $5750.00
    Pauter Billet Rods. $1500.00
    Fall Line Racing Cage. $2500.00
    Engine Builders Supply Parts. $7700.00
    Elephant Racing Von street coilovers $8900.00

What the heck do I do with her? She is a COA California car with basically every nut and bolt brand new. Sadly, all I have in my computer is one picture from the cover of a magazine that makes it look like a toy. I will snap some more tomorow and add to this thread if anyone is interested. The links are to a few of my other cars in case you question the validity of this thread.

http://bringatrailer.com/2010/07/13/...rally-tribute/
    http://bringatrailer.com/2013/09/26/...930-cabriolet/

I currently have two 68's, a 70, a 87, a 89 silver anniversary and a 2000 driver. I live on a boat now with a fishing rod in one hand and a corona in the other. My original plan was to keep Blue/Yellow but I think she will best serve someone who will appreciate her more.

$70k in parts receipts and a $60k paint job no wonder he abandoned the car. Wonder how much in labor he owed the restoration shop.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

I owned the shop that did the body restoration.

Has the headlight angle been changed ? sounds like you would have to farm out completion of the car, and since you may already be in the hole on this one (don't think you exactly explained that) by paying someone else to finish this you'll be even deeper. I'd say put it up for adoption and try to cut your losses.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Stopped by my shop today to snap a few pics. Felt a little inspiration and will probably start hanging metal and installing glass this weekend. She is a little dusty and the lighting sucks but here she is.
    Attached Images Attached Images           

VIN reference = 11805113
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100