Thread: putting guts back in door 71 LWB

putting guts back in door 71 LWB

Putting all the "guts" back in my 71 doors and flying a little blind here. Have some questions that hopefully some of the members here can help out with;

1. What is the "sequence" for loading/installing the following: Window regulator, vent window assembly, rear felt glide (w/little chrome "L" on top)
    2. Does the window get installed onto the regulator as a unit.?
    3. what should get lubricated.?
    4. In what sequence should the exterior door handles get installed, adjusted
    5. Any maintenance pieces (rubber, plastic glides etc.) that should get replaced.?

Thx in advance

Here is the sequence I went through on my 73 (to the best of my recollection:

Internal lock/latch assemblies and outside door handle
    Window regulator
    Door window (after regulator is in place inside the door)
    Window/vent frame

I thoroughly cleaned and lubricated the internal lock/latch mechanism and the window metal frame where the plastic runners on the regulator make contact and slide back and forth as the window is raised and lowered.

My process is to put the door frame in last. It sounds like you're asking about a Targa, but that would be the same. I insert the regulator into the door and drop the door window in, attaching its lower rail to the arms. Then I support the assembly and use bolts around the window winder shaft to fix the assembly in place. Lubrication on the nylon attachments at the grooves on the metal fixture on the base of the window. Drop in the frame with the glass in channels and tighten it all up.

The door handle pieces are readily accessible from inside with the window up. You can insert the handle into the door latch assembly (which was the second thing to install into the door shell). With the latch assembly, it's easiest to install with the lock and opening rods in place, but you can also pop them in afterwards. The door handle should not require adjustment.

Maintenance pieces include inner and outer seals against the glass. There is also a rubber stop at the bottom of the door shell for the window regulator. All other seals go on later.

So, the order is: 1. door latch in place with rods 2. outer glass seal (metal snaps) then 3. insert regulator assy. 4. Drop in glass and insert regulator nylon sliders into glass frame slots. 5. bolt in regulator 6. drop in frame/window channels 7. insert inner seal against the glass. 8. outer handle

Works for me.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

White grease or ?.....
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

white is fine - but Wurth HHS 200 is even better

be sure to do any rust tmt., cleaning of weep holes, paint touchup, sound dampening, etc.

Stoddards has the rubber plugs you need

Thanks all, huge help here

This may also be helpful
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/paint...embly-how.html
    In reverse, of course.
    Cheers,
    Johan