Thread: Date marks on early Cookie Cutters

Date marks on early Cookie Cutters

Hey all,

Allen here from Ireland. I am restoring a US 911T from 1973. The car has dated Fuchs on it ('71) but these are not mentioned on the COA and I'm pretty sure the basic wheel on the '73T was the Cookie Cutter - it's first year?

So, I'm looking for a set of '73 Cookies. I have bought a set of Cookies for my '78 SC and there is a very clear date mark on the back of these - in this case a '77' in a circle. But I may also buy a set from a guy here in Ireland and the one's he's selling don't appear to have a date mark on them. He thinks they may be off a '74 car. From the photos he's sent it looks like these have identification marks in different places than my '77 wheel, although the part numbers are there and are the same of both sets.

So, does anyone on here know if the date was somewhere else on earlier Cookies? Or maybe it was stamped on in ink like some early Fuchs?

Here's a photo of the date mark on my '77 wheels, looks to be part of the casting process rather than stamped.

Name:  20151201_123927.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  92.2 KB

All help much appreciated.

Al.

73 ATS (cookie cutters) will be 3 prong cap style wheel.
    H

I purchased a set of Cookie Cutters for my 2.4E to make up a winter wheel/tire set......couldn't believe my luck when 2 of the 4 turned up dated 12/72, same build month as my car .....

I'll take a photo of the date code as soon as I get a chance.

Cheers,

Had a photo in my file, you can just see the date stamp on the bottom spoke, let me know if you need a close up.

HTH

Many thanks Harvey,

I think that means that the wheel itself will have an obvious lip inside the centre for the cap prongs to catch onto? Like my early Fuchs? Can you confirm that?

I know the wheels I am looking at don't have their original centre caps.

Are you also saying that the '73 Cookies won't have a date stamp/casting?

Thanks again,

Allen

Hi Darren,

I'm that slow at posting that I didn't see your very helpful replies before I sent my last one.

So it looks like a '73 Cookie would have the same type of date stamp as my '77s, as well as having the lip for the three pronged centre caps.

The one's I'm looking at are definitely ATS so the mark must either be there somewhere or worn off which is unlikely. At £200 maybe I should just buy them and see what I end up with!

Thanks all,

Allen