Thread: mfi problems

mfi problems

Help
    After a 20 year slumber I am trying to wake up the dead.
    I replaced all fuel lines and cleaned out fuel tank.
    Getting plenty of fuel to the pump but nothing coming out of the injectors at the engine.
    Belt is on.
    Is there anything else I can do to the mfi pump to try to get fuel flowing ?
    Btw the car will start off the cold start squirters but quickly dies from lack of fuel
    Thanks

The rack inside the MFI pump is probably frozen. Unfortunately, the kiss of death to these pumps is sitting for long periods with fuel in them. There's a big black plastic cap on the back of the pump. It's facing away from you as you look into the engine compartment. It's just above the drivegear. If you pull that cap off ( it probably won't come off easily, they get pretty hard overtime), and take a wooden dowel and push the end of the rack in it should return on its own. It should push in 8 to 10 millimeters with little pressure and return on its own. You shouldn't have to push real hard. I've attached a photo of a dismantled pump that I have and I've put a pencil and where you would push in at. If it is frozen which is very likely, you'll probably have to pull the pump off and have it rebuilt.Name:  20151216_061231.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  80.4 KB
    Everything will work on the pump visually on the outside and yet the rack can still be frozen. That basically means the pump isn't pumping fuel. I bought a pump from a guy a while back that was frozen. I was able to take the side inspection plates off though and work the pump with Marvel Mystery Oil and get the rack unfrozen. Kind of hard to explain over a forum but I got the method from Mark Jung over at MFI werks. But even then the pump is still in a questionable state and is probably going to have to be rebuilt.
    Last edited by Gearby; 12-17-2015 at 03:47 PM.

I recently revived an E pump as Gearby describes . I filled the fuel head with Kroil , waited a few days and gently started working the cylinders behind the side covers .

Yes, on mine I was able to take the side inspection plates off, and tap on the adjusters to get the rack to free up. It took a while working the adjusters back and forth. When you get the inspection plates off on a pump that has a frozen rack, you'll see that the pistons are stuck in the up position when you turn the pump by hand. If you can get the adjusters to start moving back and forth the pistons will usually come down and begin moving up and down again. Once I got everything free, I took a drill with a socket bit on the nut that's on the gear. I then spun the pump real fast while it was covered in Marvel Mystery Oil. It did finally free up but I can't remember how quickly the rack snapped back into place. It should return rather quickly. Maybe it was fine I can't really remember. But it seems to me that the rack was still a little bit slow to return.
    Last edited by Gearby; 12-16-2015 at 04:40 PM.