Thread: 69-74 911,914, 915 Type ZF Limited Slip Differential.

Early 911 Fan, 914-6 Owner Martin Baker's Avatar

69-74 911,914, 915 Type ZF Limited Slip Differential.

1969-1974 911,914 or early 915 type trans-axle, ZF PORSCHE limited slip differential.

$ SOLD

Not NOS but close. This unit was more than likely purchased as a replacement unit by someone, and not taken from a trans-axle that had been removed from a known car. I am going to use the Guard GT LSD, so I must to sell this one.

I do not have the correct out drives for it, and are difficult to locate.

I sent this unit to Gordon Ledbetter, owner of OREGON RENNSPORT LLC, who is well versed in the 911/914/915 ZF LSD unit, for inspection and repair. Based on what he found during inspection, he believes that it was only installed and ran very little, less than 100 miles, or never run at all, only installed, so it has had a ring gear bolted to it, it has been in a trans-axle, a 914 trans-axle I bought a few years back. If I had to guess, the trans-axle was built up, then stored until I bought it. <u5><o>
    Gordon provided me with multiple photos of the internal parts and found it to be set up 80%, with no wear to the internals. He reassembled it to the 80% @ 60 pounds pre-load, flange to flange. My asking price is based on two experts in the PORSCHE trans-axle business. <o>
    I will insist on shipping insurance, due to loss or damage to such a rare part. No choice. Shipping is costly due to the parts weight. Inquires welcome.

s-l1600.jpg3.jpg2.jpgAttachment 360442</o</o</u5
    Last edited by Martin Baker; 01-27-2016 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Price
    HMSA and CSRG Member, THE Premire Vintage Racing Clubs! See you at the TRACK !

See me GO! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPjikgbTyqw

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    I did inspect this diff and it is the nicest and tightest early style 911 diff I've seen. Martin's pictures need a little explaining. The pix of carrier nipple where the bearing goes, showers no marking where the drive flange would insert. The next pix was just an open diff to show drive flange wear against the bearing nipple. The pix of the side gears was just to show him a possible solution to a drive flange swap to fine spline. We may go that way. Does anyone have a driveshaft solution using fine spline drive flanges for a 914. Gordon

Thank you for that Gordon. I am at no where near your knowledge level on these units. I wish I only had the right out drives!

HI Martin
    your Guard GT LSD should take the out-put flanges from the 914 OK, I have fitted this combination before, for a early 911 and early small C.V. joints.

regards mike

Thanks, but I do not have a Guard unit, Only this lowly ZF! I will use the funds from this to buy a Guard unit. Price lowered.

Hello Martin, are the out drives the same as the joint flanges?

Not entirely sure what you mean, my car is a replica, so it has a 914/4 cylinder out drives axles, and stub axles, but they hold up fine, never had a problem. I appreciate you trying to help out.

The out drives for this diff are longer, I am told than the ones that fit the open diffs, 911 or 914. Regardless of CV size. Gordon sent me a photo of the ever elusive part. I was told when they were still availble from PORSCHE they were $800.00 each. I am considering having special spacers made, but Gordon said it not the best way, and loads the gear incorrectly, which I understand, but I would rather see this go to some proper "priceless, look but don't touch, million dollar car" that needs it. That's why I put it here. It's a verified, buy an expert, excellent vintage race car part. I know someone would like to have it. I just want a LSD in my totally fake, worthless. vintage race car. Guard Unit is superior in all ways, I am told, and the dime a dozen stock 914, 911 out drives fit it.

For what is worth... These are the correct 901 ZF LSD course splines output flanges for a 914. I'm not sure if the 915 ZF output flanges are any different in length than these 901.

Note the longer output flange shaft (pn 914.332.209.00) used with the LSD, when compared to a standard differential unit (pn 914.332.209.01).

erase - flanges - Photo 1.jpg

erase - flanges - Photo 2.jpg

erase - flanges - Photo 3.jpg

40mm shoulder...

erase - flanges - Photo 4.jpg

erase - flanges - Photo 5.jpg

61mm from the step to the end of the shaft.

erase - flanges - Photo 6.jpg

pn 914.332.209.00

erase - flanges - Photo 7.jpg

PS: These are not for sale, more photos here
    Last edited by 914-6gt; 12-22-2015 at 10:53 PM.

New price, SOLD
    Last edited by Martin Baker; 01-27-2016 at 11:35 AM.