Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW R27 on eBay

BMW R27 on eBay

For some time have been lusting for a BMW R27.

I know some of you are vintage BMW fanatics and very knowledgable

This one here is for sale on eBay, but I know little about these bikes to know how original / correct it is

I'll appreciate your comments

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201487357646...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Henry

Shift Knob Maker
    I completed a restoration on a 1964 R27 earlier this year.
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...BMW-Enthusiast

They do not bring as much $ as I would have liked, but oh well. Anyway, that looks to be a pretty nice example, can't tell a whole lot from the photos as I can't make them big enough to view much detail. The purist don't like the SS hardware to be used and I don't care for the mis-matched tires but those are nit picky things. There really should be a LOT more info and better description for a "fully restored" bike but.. They are nice older bikes, but are a bit quirky.

Mark..

Quote Originally Posted by 76911S View Post
    I completed a restoration on a 1964 R27 earlier this year.
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...BMW-Enthusiast

They do not bring as much $ as I would have liked, but oh well. Anyway, that looks to be a pretty nice example, can't tell a whole lot from the photos as I can't make them big enough to view much detail. The purist don't like the SS hardware to be used and I don't care for the mis-matched tires but those are nit picky things. There really should be a LOT more info and better description for a "fully restored" bike but.. They are nice older bikes, but are a bit quirky.

Mark..
    Beautiful bike Mark,

Was that the original color? Or was it black like most?

Did you end up selling it?

Thanks
    Henry

The mirrors are fake-e-doo knock off's of the original Albert Mirrors. Benchmark Works own the rights to production and sell them cheaper than anyone else. I have these on my bikes. They look cool but what you'll mostly see is your knees.

A majority of BMW's from the era are black. Dover White was the other color. In '69 they did a run of special color bikes with the newly and soon to be used on everthing after 1969 telescopic forks. These are know as "US" bikes because this is where they were sold originally. Granada Red, Riviera Blue and Turf Green as well as black or white.

The downside to a single restoration is that is as expensive as a twin and they've never really taken off. Guys that do Moto Giro races will occasionally show up on one (250cc is the limit).

I'd have to see real paperwork on the bottom end being rebuilt. It's important to know that the slingers have been cleaned or if it's been taken down and freshened.

This bike is slow as molasses running uphill in the winter. They are cute though.
    I've passed your note to a friend who has restored and owns a few of these. He's affiliated with MAX BMW and is as close to an expert as you'll find.

The comments on stainless are sound. I've used it but have the original nuts and bolts too.

Tom

www.pbase.com/tdb
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Shift Knob Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
    Beautiful bike Mark,

Was that the original color? Or was it black like most?

Did you end up selling it?

Thanks
    Yes, it was the original color, Dover is somewhat rare.
    I did sell it, listed it on ebay and sold it to someone after the auction ended.

If I did another, I would get a twin, more power, better value. I never added up what I had in mine, but I'm sure I lost $$. BMW bikes are kinda weird, unlike anything else I have worked on. I have a 60's Benelli that I am going to restore sometime in the future.

Mark..

All true. A single costs the same money as a twin when it comes to a restoration.

FWIW; I went to OH last December to pick up a Dover R60/2.
    Long story short; the guy totally misrepresented the bike and I spent a few months getting my money back.
    If you don't know these bikes it's well worth paying someone to do a once over (in person) which may save you money in the end.

The engines are not difficult to rebuild however you need special tools. Rebuilding the crankshaft requires an outside source of which there are several competent ones in the United States.

Good luck!
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post
    If you don't know these bikes it's well worth paying someone to do a once over (in person) which may save you money in the end.

Good luck!
    Thanks Again Tom and Mark

Would you know of someone in NJ that could take a look at this bike? I've been in contact with the seller and know the reserve, and I'm seriously considering it.

There is also this R25/3 in Tucson that looks good (in my ignorance and for the use I'll be giving to this bike, the R27 and the R25/3 are almost the same thing to me...)

This has the apparent benefit of having been restored and owned by 2 apparently respected BMW bikers, and it is much closer to where I need to ship the bike.

http://www.ironhorsemotorcycles.com/...sp?veh=4421414

Can someone comment on the usability of the R25/3 vs the R27?

Thanks
    Henry

The 25/3 is a plunger frame motorcycle. It is harder to get parts for and not very comfortable to ride as there is not much travel in the rear suspension. It is slower than R27 and that is saying something.
    IMO, the price is way off for the condition.

Have you looked on www.IBMW.org ?

I'll ask around about someone who could do justice to a cursory look-see.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Thanks Tom
    Henry

Henry:

I talked with a friend who restores BMW's and he has just finished the bottom end of an R27 for a friend/customer. He says it's going to be a nice bike when it's done.
    If you're not in a hurry we can see what his plans are and get some idea of pricing. It's cheaper to buy a restored bike (or car) than it is to do one.

Nobody I know held their hand up for an NJ inspection.

Good luck.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111