Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS: New Replica Cibie Super Oscar and Oscar Plus Lights

FS: New Replica Cibie Super Oscar and Oscar Plus Lights

I'm not a light expert by any means, more a light nerd. I've been through lots. I love these for the price point - great value driver lights, IMO. They are not Cibie's and not meant to fool experts, but they do work well IMO and are worth the price. I bought some and had a chance to buy more at a deal, so did.

These would be big, obvious rally-style lights on a 911, but would be very cool and period correct for anything up through the 80s.

The smaller (chrome round-back housing) Super Oscar/Oscar SC replicas: These are a driving light lens – for distance with a mild amount of spread, unlike a narrow pencil or spot distance beam. The housing is 7” in diameter (unlike the true Super Oscar, which was over 8” diameter so it is more like the Oscar SC in size). The glass lens itself is 5 1/2” diameter. The Oscar SC was only available in a non-fluted spot/pencil beam light, which isn't that great on the road where you need some spread or width of beam, as these driving lenses have. The chrome quality on these lights is great.

The larger (black, flat-backed) Oscar Plus replicas: These are also a driving light lens similar to the Supers, but with more fluting for a slightly wider spread. The housing is 7 3/4” in diameter (the glass lens itself is 6 7/8” diameter). One of the big benefits of this light design is that it is shallow (only 3.5” deep total), unlike most large lights, so it can more likely fit on your bumper or light mount without sticking out past everything else. These lights can be mounted upside down as well, with the same beam pattern.

I have used these lights on cars and trucks, and yes, they are inexpensive and 'replica' versions, but they work well and take a beating and last. They differ from the original Cibie Oscar Plus lights (which I have also had many of, and used) in a few significant ways.

First, the Cibie only has one power wire coming out of the housing – they ground through the mounting bolt of the housing. This is less than desirable, as the bolt to housing contact is a swivel mount, and the housing swivel is then pop riveted to the housing itself, which is painted. This prevents the ground from ever being 'perfect.' These replicas use a separate wire for grounding, which allows for easier (and better IMO) grounding when mounting to a plastic bumper, or a bumper that isn't grounded to the chassis well, etc.

Second, the Cibie swivel mount is much smaller. It works and isn't a problem, but given the choice between a larger, beefier swivel mount and a smaller one, I'd always go with the larger one.

They come with 100W H2 bulbs, but do need a switch, and ideally, a relay, to install.

Pair of lights for $100

Ground shipping in the lower 48 is $20.

Last edited by greggearhead; 02-16-2016 at 08:43 AM.

You have a PM

Few sets sold, more available.

Got a few new stands whipped up. =)

FS: New Replica Cibie Super Oscar

Hi Greg!...Very Cool...I'd like to buy a pair of the "Chromed" version...I'm in Los Angeles 90064...Please let me know how to pay at:

larsw@westmarksales.com
    Thank you very much.../ Lars...
    Lars Wikblad...

Early 911 "S" Registry # 527
    "R" Gruppe # 314

New pics with the stands.

Still have several sets left

Shipped some more - going to try and paint the inside of the lenses of a set yellow to see how that turns out. Have gotten more than a couple inquiries asking about yellow.

I painted a set - on the outside, dis- and reassembly was going to be very time consuming.

It is paint, so if you follow a truck down a gravel road, the paint will chip, just like the glass. There is a very small bit of texture in the finish, but not noticeable unless you get close.

I can make them darker or lighter as well - this shows 5 coats of yellow and 2 coats of clear.

Cost to paint, $50 on top of the lights.

Still have some. Yellow Super Scar reps on stand avail as well.