Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Total electrical failure

Total electrical failure

I drive my 69 911 at least weekly with no issues. Went out to start it and NOTHING. Battery is fine. Is there some master system failure point in the ignition switch or elsewhere?? By nothing I mean no horn, lights, no nothing.
    1969 911S Targa
    1970 911S Coupe
    1973 911T w 3.2
    1972 Alfa GTV 2000

1st- Check all grounds.
    Battery to body grounds have been known to corrode.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Battery...............start with the easy fixes, as I`ve been told several times
    To err is human; to blame it on someone else is more human...

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.

member #1515
    Ignition switch electrical portion at back of switch. That or the switch itself. I had that failure and replaced the entire mechanism as the lock was getting weak too.
    Good idea to start with the battery.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Exact same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. Spade connection off post on starter solenoid. Took me quite a while to find that one.
    '66 912 with a 2.2
    '62 Lotus Seven S2
    '66 Lotus Elan
    '63 Karmann Ghia convertible
    '76 Alfa Spider

I've had problems with the relay that the start switch wiring loom connects to.......found next to the flasher relay........in my 69 which gave the same symptoms that you describe.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by classic View Post
    I've had problems with the relay that the start switch wiring loom connects to.......found next to the flasher relay........in my 69 which gave the same symptoms that you describe.
    Battery and cables are known good. This was instant failure. Where is that flasher relay located exactly? Front, rear, under dash?
    1969 911S Targa
    1970 911S Coupe
    1973 911T w 3.2
    1972 Alfa GTV 2000

does 'known good' mean the battery was tested on a large, cart-based carbon-pile battery tester at an electrical shop?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 37yrold911 View Post
    does 'known good' mean the battery was tested on a large, cart-based carbon-pile battery tester at an electrical shop?
    True.

We get into trouble often when our guys use the Snap On "Sears Service Center" tester instead of Ole Faithful; our Sun VAT 40.

But in this case I'm betting ign sw related.

I would use a test light and few jumper wires and trace it down. As sithot said, check the grounds first and check out the positive side from there.
    72 911S Targa #0807 95+% German.

Paul Harrop 12.5% German.

Early S #2059