Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '71 911S Gold/CAD Air Cleaner Housing?

'71 911S Gold/CAD Air Cleaner Housing? Original? 42K mile car.

About 2 years ago I purchased a '71 911S. It's an original 42K mile car, which checked out
    100% with the paperwork that came with the car. I also happen to know the family that
    owned the car (since 1981). In 1981 it was put on mothballs, never being driven since then.
    Only started up once and a while.

There is a fairly rich history to the car, as it had been originally special ordered by Joe Lavia
    (Lavia Porsche Santa Barbara). The gold metallic original paint had been repainted in the late
    70's to black.

Here's my question... Yesterday I picked up a bit more paperwork (from his son) that was
    found as they were cleaning house. I talked to him for about a 1/2 hour, and he told me
    how he remembered when he was 8 years old, how cool looking the engine was... with its
    gold CAD air cleaner housing. Being that his entire family has been car enthusiasts (which
    is how they knew Joe Lavia) it leads me to believe many of the details I've been told about
    this car. The family has owned many "special" cars over the years. For him to remember
    details like the gold CAD air cleaner assembly, is believable (to me).

So... now that you've heard my semi-long boring story... getting on to my question: Who
    on this 911S registry, has heard of the air cleaner housing being gold CAD? instead of black?
    Posted are a few shots of the housing.

Being that MUCH of the car was in almost perfect condition (chrome, gauges, suspension,
    glass, seat belts, seats, engine, zero rust, etc) I am wanting to believe the gold CAD air
    cleaner info. I was told yesterday. BUT... I've NEVER seen one ANY other color besides black.
    Has anyone hear ever heard of a gold CAD housing? If not... then, could Joe Lavia have
    special ordered it, being that the car already had the gold metallic/88 paint, and a gold
    CAD housing might look unique, and "match" the car.

I'm also keeping in mind the car had been used from 1971-1981, and the air cleaner housing
    could have been changed when the car was painted black in the late 70's. Just seems like a
    strange modification for a person to go out of their way to have done (to a part on the engine).
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Nickm; 01-01-2016 at 02:04 PM.

Banned
    I wouldn't go into a euphoric drunk fest yet.

In the '70's/80's we were doing yellow on anything that bolted or clipped on.

I think what you have there is some personalization by a previous owner.

Got any pics of the rest of the car?

While working for a SoCal dealership in the 70s I had quite a few parts cad plated. We had just come from the 60s full chrome 356 engine era and I was looking for something to clean up some of the small parts when we hot rodded the engines. I found a very large industrial cad plater in Ontario area as I remember. They did industrial plating and only if you got to know the foreman, would he plate stuff out the back door. We mainly had hardware done (by the bucket load) but then I tried some 914 steel wheels and they didn't look too bad. So I tried all sorts of stuff. Backing plates, suspension bits and yes, some engine tin. I don't recall if we ever did a air filter housing but it wouldn't have been unusual to do one. I didn't know Mr. Lavia but we did do business with the Santa Barbara parts dept from time to time....
    H

No euphoric drunk fest going on here. ;o) I've had quite a few 911's over the last 28 years (100+)
    and have never seen this, or heard of it being a cool modification to do to a car. Not saying that it
    couldn't have been done here in California. Just checking to see if anyone has heard of one originally
    finished in the CAD.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Weidman View Post
    While working for a SoCal dealership in the 70s I had quite a few parts cad plated. We had just come from the 60s full chrome 356 engine era and I was looking for something to clean up some of the small parts when we hot rodded the engines. I found a very large industrial cad plater in Ontario area as I remember. They did industrial plating and only if you got to know the foreman, would he plate stuff out the back door. We mainly had hardware done (by the bucket load) but then I tried some 914 steel wheels and they didn't look too bad. So I tried all sorts of stuff. Backing plates, suspension bits and yes, some engine tin. I don't recall if we ever did a air filter housing but it wouldn't have been unusual to do one. I didn't know Mr. Lavia but we did do business with the Santa Barbara parts dept from time to time....
    H
    Hi Harvey.
    Did you happen to deal with Gary Betz who was the Lavia Porsche service manager back then (1970-'74).
    He's a fairly decent friend of mine, & been my 911 mechanic for the last 28 years. Gary told me he remembers driving Joes (now my) gold '71 back to Ventura (where Gary lives) from time to time. Small world.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickm View Post
    Just checking to see if anyone has heard of one originally
    finished in the CAD.
    I have never seen any type of engine customizing from Porsche but as I said, it was not unusual to see 911s with chrome or custom painted air filter housings on the cars that we serviced.
    Some even had very complex pin striping on them....I would tend to think it was dealer installed.
    H

Quote Originally Posted by Nickm View Post
    Hi Harvey.
    Did you happen to deal with Gary Betz who was the Lavia Porsche service manager back then (1970-'74).
    He's a fairly decent friend of mine, & been my 911 mechanic for the last 28 years. Gary told me he remembers driving Joes (now my) gold '71 back to Ventura (where Gary lives) from time to time. Small world.
    I'm sure that I did. (The first thing I would have asked him is if he was related to hot rodder Stanley Betz) I'm sorry most of the names have been lost to time. I was very active selling factory race and aftermarket parts during that era. And came into contact with most of the other SoCal dealer representatives that were Porsche guys (fewer of them than you would think). Does Gary remember the cad plated filter?
    H
    Last edited by Harvey Weidman; 01-01-2016 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    I wouldn't go into a euphoric drunk fest yet.
    In the '70's/80's we were doing yellow on anything that bolted or clipped on.
    I think what you have there is some personalization by a previous owner.
    Got any pics of the rest of the car?
    I'll probably start a thread on my restoring the car, in a few weeks. Even though the car has
    only 42K miles, & been owned by 2 families... the family that owned it before me started an
    RSR steel conversion on it back in '81. They never had the time to finish the RSR conversion
    over the years, as the dad and two sons worked constantly. So the project got put on hold.
    Last year I sold the front steel RSR fenders, quarterpanles and RSR 11's & 9' Fuchs. I bought
    brand new parts from Porsche and put it back to the narrow body, which is how it sits now.
    I've removed everything to do a rotisserie resto on it (as I'd like the car to look like new/stock
    again). At first I wasn't a big fan of restoring the car back to the metallic gold/88 paint. But
    it's been growing on me as I gather more and more info. on the car. I can't wait for the paint
    now. lol
    Last edited by Nickm; 02-06-2016 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Weidman View Post
    I'm sure that I did. (The first thing I would have asked him is if he was related to hot rodder Stanley Betz) I'm sorry most of the names have been lost to time. I was very active selling factory race and aftermarket parts during that era with most of the other SoCal dealer representatives that were Porsche guys (fewer of them than you would think).
    H
    Harvey,
    I don't think Gary has a brother named Stanley... but I'll ask him when I see him Monday. Gary is 75 now... so he's been doing this for a while as you may have guessed. He started out his training at 14 years old at the Porsche factory. He has many interesting stories of the "sheds" they built the 550's in. One of his jobs was to buy bread & beer for the workers, on his bike. 14 years old. hehe There's a story on Gary in our local PCA magazine I think I have. I'll see if can post it.

Veering WAY off my original posting now. hehe But is's sounding to me like the air cleaner cover was probably modded here in California. ;o)
    Last edited by Nickm; 02-06-2016 at 09:04 AM.

Nickm: Please, if you are able to find and post that story on Gary Betz? Please at least cross reference it here so we are sure to find it. Sounds like fun!