Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: German Vinyl

German Vinyl

I bought a yard of German vinyl from one of the domestic suppliers and the pattern looks to match my original samples. However, I have noticed a two details that differ.

#1-The grain does not appear to be as "deep"/ "heavy" on the new vinyl.

#2-The sheen looks a bit more matte on the new vinyl, though original samples that saw more sunlight look to be more glossy when compared to the far edges that were wrapped around interior panels. With age and Armor-All/Conditioner I could see the sheen being a characteristic of the environment. Maybe a non-issue...?

I may be loosing it here; Maybe I have had too much [originality-based OCD] Kool-Aid...

What do you think or if there is one supplier that matches better, Please let me know.

(Orig. on Top-section that wraps around the B pillar and quarter window; New sample at bottom of photo)

(New sample on left; Orig. on right-section from A pillar/windshield pillar)
    Last edited by MoparBoy72; 01-09-2016 at 02:03 PM.
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    '82 931, '92 968, '93 968
    S Reg #1074

I (and others) have tried virtually every supplier I could find. What you have looks very good to me - as good as anything I've been able to source. Where did you buy it?

The new vinyl I bought is from Aase Sales-on their site here

Thanks for the support.
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    S Reg #1074

from your description and pics i guess this material is from MAH in munic.
    also the best i could source.
    the backside webbing is a bit different,right?

The back side webbing on new samples looks to be close in pattern but white in color where My originals are black/grey.

-Andrew
    '72 911E
    S Reg #1074

is there a difference when stretching it nort/south compared to east /west?

my material is more elastic in one direction

Quote Originally Posted by MoparBoy72 View Post
    #2-The sheen looks a bit more matte on the new vinyl, though original samples that saw more sunlight look to be more glossy when compared to the far edges that were wrapped around interior panels. With age and Armor-All/Conditioner I could see the sheen being a characteristic of the environment.
    Hi you can polish it - I did that on a seat I once owned that had a boulster replaced ad was too matte compared to the rest- or just use it (for some years)

Andrew, that is a pretty good sample. The original vinyl is actually a more matte finish than we typically see on old 911s. The years of sun, friction, and cleaning bring it to a more gloss finish IMO.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Quote Originally Posted by moito View Post
    is there a difference when stretching it nort/south compared to east /west?

my material is more elastic in one direction
    Moito,

You are correct, one direction is more elastic on the new material versus the old being more equally elastic from what I can tell.
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    S Reg #1074

Quote Originally Posted by uai View Post
    Hi you can polish it - I did that on a seat I once owned that had a boulster replaced ad was too matte compared to the rest- or just use it (for some years)
    Quote Originally Posted by t6dpilot View Post
    Andrew, that is a pretty good sample. The original vinyl is actually a more matte finish than we typically see on old 911s. The years of sun, friction, and cleaning bring it to a more gloss finish IMO.
    Thanks Uai and Scott;

My concern over finish is matching to other interior sections that I had planned to reuse. I will move forward with what I have.

Thanks for the advice.
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    S Reg #1074