Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best driver 911 (or even 912) model 1965-1973?

Talking Best driver 911 (or even 912) model 1965-1973?

I would like to know which 911/912 you most enjoy driving daily (traffic, short runs, highways).

I'm asking because over time, I often find myself enjoying the 912, or the 66 911 more than the S models.

I know each car is different and set-up can vary considerably, but I would probably choose the 66 911, because you have the noise of the 6 cylinder and the torque low down; while the 911S is an amazing engine, it doesn't alway's deliver the best driving experience below 4'000 rpm. But perhaps because I've been driving SWB models?

Sorry, probably an old subject...but still interesting!
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

I rarely drive my '72 T on freeways and never on the track. Nearly 100% of the miles I log are in and around town and along the beach. With its mechanically injected 2.4....cruising along at 30-35 mph in third gear at around 2,200 rpm is effortless. Ample torque and instantaneous throttle response are also there if and when the need arises.
    Last edited by FL-Frank; 01-10-2016 at 01:21 PM.
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921
    1972 Bahia Red 911 Coupe #9112100390..."Rudy" SOLD
    1967 Savannah Beige VW Beetle Sedan #117364457..."Heidi"...aka "Tinker Toy"

Sorry, off topic here as my early cars do not roll yet. The 993 S Vesuvio
    Name:  IMG_0485.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  119.6 KB

Name:  1 014.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  104.3 KB
    member 2971 Jacques
    911 March 1965
    912 April 1965
    911 May 1965
    964 RS clone (one of many)
    964 Targa original Dutch police car (one of 45)
    964 Turbo 3.6 (one of 1450)
    993 S Vesuvio (one of 250)

Seems like an unsolvable riddle in that every person will have distinct preferences. Not to be too politically correct or vanilla, but I've never driven a Porsche I didn't love. Right now I am enjoying my recently restored early '68 912, twin spark 1.7

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  128.5 KB
    Kevin "Hangman" Lynch
    1967 912R (project) - color pending
    1968 Bahama Yellow 912
    Follow me on Twitter @LynchGreenDot

Quote Originally Posted by Milou View Post
    .....but still interesting!
    Interesting indeed.....

My early 911 experience makes it hard for me to give truly educted comment however having neglected my 2.4E for a fair few months since my 2.5 short stroke bitsa hit the road I took the E for a good drive recently and it hit home how great an all-rounder the 2.4E is - comfortable, smooth and quiet with bags of low down torque and a very sporting drive when put through its paces. If you could only ever drive one early 911 a 2.4E would be a great choice.

I think I'm lucky to have the best of both words although it'll be interesting to note which keys I grab most often once the novelty of the new car wears off.

It is a very good question and the answer for me has been changing over time. I am getting where I like the light easy, simple cars more than the hard riding, heavy steering and even very powerful cars. It was all about "go fast" when I was younger.
    I have a 78 Ruf 930 and a 68 911S, I find I end up driving the 68S 10 to 1 over the 930, the 930 is to much a "production" every time I drive it. It is heavy and ponderous and out of it's element in the city and the US high way speed limits fell like a school crossing zone in it. The power cannot be enjoyed legally on the street for more than a few seconds. I still like it, in it's the end of the design of the 911, ultimate evolution idea.

But I like the light, easy feel of the 68S so much and like being able to open up the engine to wide full throttle and RPM. I like it does not have sport seats. Really my pick between those two.

I like it so much so, I bought a 66 912 to see if it is even more fun in the light in town driving that I tend to do the most of. Where I get in and out of it often and drive up into gas stations with out worrying about bottoming out, the little warm up time, power is there even cold. etc. The 912 I have needs a lot of work and I am very excited to have it and think it will be a good fit for my in town needs.
    But as "Hangman" said I have never driving a Porsche I did not like.
    Tucson AZ.

Darren
    I agree about the 2.4E. I daily drove mine for 15 or so years in city traffic and made a few unobtrusive modifications that made it even better for day to day use in a city with all the traffic congestion that we have these days but still great on the open road. These included replacing the first gear in the 915 with an "asymmetrical" first gear from the last year of the 915 box (1986?) to make going into first constantly an easy task like a hot knife thru butter rather than a bit of a challenge; "upgrading" to 2.7RS pistons, barrels, MFI space cam, S throttle bodies etc but keeping the E cams to give bags more torque and amazing drivability in traffic; changing the distributor mechanism to optical breaker less instead of points matched with a digital CDI from parts classic rather than the original analogue one to (hopefully) give absolute reliability in the electrical area. It doesn't get daily driven any more but all of these "upgrades" make it a fantastic car in almost any conditions, even compared to modern cars.

as a result the only times I am not wanting to take it out is when it is very hot like it was here yesterday (41C) where the lack of air conditioning and the large glass area of the cabin make the decision to use a modern car (in my case a Q5) instead an easy decision.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

SWB, 2 ltr, 9.0 C/R, 4.2 cams, dogleg 5 speed, and comfort seats= enjoyment for me in all driving conditions.

Hands down it's my '66 912 over the 66 911 or the 993 for pure driving pleasure. I think that comes from the fact that it's not a Faberge egg that I am afraid to park at the airport for a day or two coupled with having the right amount of performance, comfort, and fun associated with a renewed drivetrain, suspension, brakes and interior. With the close AFMSX 5 speed, it's a blast to run around town or out on a twisty road.

I keep the exterior a bit grungy so, like I said, I'm not afraid to take it to the grocery store. It is now, and probably always has been the perfect driving car. That's probably why it has 385,000 miles on it!

Name:  IMG_3041.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  76.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_3043.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  110.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_3045.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  107.1 KB
    1996 993 black/tan

I have had a few Porsches. My first was a 66 912 that I really enjoyed, never felt under powered. I brought it for it's first tuneup to my local Independent garage. I will always remember that the mechanic, a gentleman named Ralph Meaney told me that I really should try driving a 911. I do prefer driving my 67S to the 912 but both cars are fantastic fun.