Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: David Bowie . . .

'. . . Mr. Bowie stopped touring in 2004. He left New York only when work demanded, and during his stunning end-of-life creative burst, he found a way to never leave his neighborhood.

“Lazarus,” the show for which Mr. Bowie composed songs and resurrected the displaced alien he played in the 1976 film “The Man Who Fell to Earth,” was staged at New York Theater Workshop, on East Fourth Street, less than 10 blocks from his house.

Both his 2013 album, “The Next Day,” and the demos for his final record, “Blackstar” — which was released, incidentally, on his birthday and just two days before he died — were recorded at the Magic Shop recording studio on Crosby Street — 283 steps from his front door.

Mr. Bowie would have ridden the elevator down from his penthouse, exited his building, crossed Lafayette Street, slipped through the little alley called Jersey Street and walked on cobblestones until he came to the studio’s unmarked metal doors.

Brian Thorn, a recording engineer for the “Next Day” sessions, said Mr. Bowie worked “very humane hours,” as rock stars go. “We’d start by 10,” Mr. Thorn said. “He would get there with or before the musicians. The studio would have his coffee order ready,” a double macchiato from La Colombe.

Mr. Thorn remembered overhearing Mr. Bowie and his guitarist talking one day. The guitarist was going on about an art exhibit, and how much Mr. Bowie would love it. Then he caught himself, realizing whom he was talking to, and said, “Oh, you can never go there; there’s too many people.”

Mr. Bowie answered, slyly, “You’d be surprised the places I’m able to go.”

Have you seen the photo that’s been circulating on Twitter of Mr. Bowie out in the city in cargo shorts and sneakers and carrying Uncut magazine? He’s very normcore. You can see why nobody recognized him, why an international superstar was able to move through the city unseen.

He understood that in our minds we all held a picture of David Bowie, or Ziggy, or the Thin White Duke. It allowed him to walk among us disguised as himself, David Jones . . .
    '

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/17/fa...rker.html?_r=0
    Attached Images Attached Images

We Can Be Heroes

Jean Genie

I'm tellin' ya --- the garbage that was on the radio Back Then . . .

This was the Bowie that I found . . . in '72 . . .
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGQo6zpVzt8

And just look at what's going on, here --- got Glam, New Romantics, Metal/Hair, '50s/Rockabilly, and --- of course . . . Punk . . .

So, 5 years later --- when Sid + Johnny + The Clash came along? . . .

. . . I was SOOOO ready . . .

. . . + all I did? ----------------------------- was cut my hair

We Can Be Heroes

Let's just hope Mr. West doesn't produce his "tribute" album...
    1971 911t coupe
    2002 Camaro z/28

Last show here in Los Angeles was @ The Wiltern Theater, which capacity is 1900. Great show, and he was on !!

We were also present for one of his first LA shows @ The Santa Monica Civic when he
    was still Ziggy....
    [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]
    Curt Autenrieth
    S Registry # 152

Porsches:
    1.6L 2.7L
    1.8L 3.0L
    2.0L 3.2L
    2.2L 3.4L h20 cooled
    2.4L 3.6L air & h20 cooled
    3.8L

Cracked Actor . . .

Kinda deflating --- unsettling, almost . . . to read other people's comments --- about Bowie . . .

. . . I always considered his art as mine --- personal . . . never that-well known

His music was never 'Top 40' --- not really . . . surprising maybe, given as long as he was recording, + given his apparent following. One would've thought that he knew what 'sells' --- music is a business, after all . . . yet he never really tried --- or cared . . . it seems

I hadn't listened to him much since about the early 90's. And the Bowie that I 1st found/heard, 20 years before that, was something/someone . . . very different

I was prolly still in Jr High, still listening to KLOS + KKDJ --- Zepplin was already old, by then, so I had Black Sabbath to fall back on, and ELP, Deep Purple, . . .

. . . when I heard my sister's Bowie records

He wasn't followed by anyone

Had really-really terrible teeth

Weird, cross-dressy --- über-un-macho . . .

. . . but his music was . . . . . other-worldly

That's the Bowie that stuck w/ me. And ever since then? . . .

Movie roles, celebrity sightings, Iman, 'Thin White Duke' . . .

. . . hhhhhhhhhhhhh --- whatever

And so now --- with the artist gone? . . . the histories get written

And re-written

Then re-written, again

For TV, prolly = the 'wider audience' . . .

. . . summarized + sanitized + organized + categorized . . . and then everyone will say . . .

'. . . Bowie? --- oh-yes . . . Bowie . . .' and lower their heads . . . then repeat what they've been told

The man? ---- I don't know

For me? ---- it's the art that's still here . . .

. . . been where it's always been --- since the first time I heard him . . .

. . .

. . . here --- in my head . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkEvAvIGK-w

Last edited by LongRanger; 03-28-2020 at 08:46 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

One of his 'popular' songs . . .

. . . but how much was cut-away --- to get to it . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GnQ3WuF7Dk

We Can Be Heroes

I always thought it was so cool of him to support the up and coming acts - like Punk at CBGB's - he supported the local stuff even when he was a mega star - I must assume Yale knew him ?
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Aladdin Sane . . .

. . . redux

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A0a1BWjFZI

Another genre-bending little ditty --- that you have to buy to hear . . .

Jazz sax, wailing violin, fusion piano, buzzing synthesizer, weird operatic vocals . . . . + w/ a (by turns) sad/ironic/menacing/then-playful finish

More haunt than song . . .

. . . and one of my favorites

Makes me wish I could play a piano

Last edited by LongRanger; 11-28-2016 at 04:30 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

One Year Ago . . .

. . . already

News said that he'd only received his diagnosis --- liver cancer . . . 3 months before

We Can Be Heroes

An Olde Songe . . .

. . . TVC15
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLl1MeOCeKI

'. . . "TVC 15" is a song written and recorded by David Bowie in 1975 and released in 1976. The track was inspired by an episode in which Iggy Pop, during a drug-fuelled period at Bowie's LA home, hallucinated and believed the television set was swallowing his girlfriend . . .'

We Can Be Heroes