Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello, and newbie introduction!

Hello, and newbie introduction!

Hi everyone,

I thought it was time for me to say hello and show you what I'm up to! I've been reading a lot of your posts, and I'm beginning to wonder if it's normal for me to think "hmm, this is interesting" when reading about the surface finish of nuts and bolts!

Anyway, here is my ride:
    Name:  Screen Shot 2016-01-18 at 22.59.16.png
Views: 331
Size:  479.6 KB

Oops, sorry, that's what it looks like in my dreams.

Here is what the cat coughed up:
    Name:  P1110902.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  90.2 KB

Ok, almost the same, just needs a little work.

I have a first question, if it's ok to shoot it out right away. The Porsche CA lists an option labelled: 432: "Halogen hi-beams on the bumper" (translated from french). The car is a 1972 S Targa, and I'm wondering if this it what is shown in the first photo, or those headlamps that are attached through the horn grills. What model headlights would be correct (flat-ish or bowl shaped)?

In case anyone is interested, I started a build thread on the bird forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ave-maybe.html)

I've got my work cut out on the body (not to mention figuring out where everything in the boxes is supposed to go), but it's going to be fun. At least the engine looks like it's in good shape and turns over nicely:
    Name:  P1110930.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  103.8 KB

Thanks to all for a great forum!

Dario

____o0o____

1972 Targa 911S (perhaps), silver gray (maybe), member 3337

Hi Dario, bonsoir et bienvenu. Make sure you elevate your interest to the level of what the glossy finish of a certain year fuel hose should be ;-).Bonne chance with yr project!
    member 2971 Jacques
    911 March 1965
    912 April 1965
    911 May 1965
    964 RS clone (one of many)
    964 Targa original Dutch police car (one of 45)
    964 Turbo 3.6 (one of 1450)
    993 S Vesuvio (one of 250)

Welcome to the forum. Lots of great info here to help you get it back together. Looks like a great project. Many look like the first picture with a new paint job, but are really like the second picture. At least you know what you are getting into.
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

Welcome...... I like your attitude and humor.
    To answer your question; NO those aren't the "Halogen hi-beams on the bumper".
    They should be the ones that go through the bumper down below.
    H

Thumbs up

Welcome to the board Dario....... more adventures to come.......
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Greetings to another '72 S Targa owner! Chassis certainly will be a project but your engine looks very complete and almost ready to go! More pics, please...and welcome.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Welcome Dario, ciao from Belgium!

Massimo
    Member #2768 http://www.no-speedlimit.it

• 1973 Biancaneve - 911 2.4 S/F Ivory
    • 1977 Fiona - 911 Carrera 3.0 Oak Green Metallic
    • 1993 Bellatrix - 964 Turbo 3.6 Black

I keep a registry of 1972 and 1973 2.4 S coupé chassis. Infos always welcome!!!

Instagram
    Twitter

more pics

By popular demand (ok, only 72Targa's), here are some more pics of the 911 kit. The car was delivered silver gray (925) on feb 3rd, 1972 in Belgium. From the d'IETEREN Frères garage in Brussels, according to the chassis plate. It had the following options: 409 (Leather sport seats), 423 (driver's rear view mirror), 432 (over the bumper hi-beams), 440 (manual antenna, 2 speakers). Needless to say, none of those are there now. It did come with a set of nice leatherette Recaros that are period-correct, though. I guess the old leather on the sport seats was really uncomfortable, and a PO though the change was for the better

Here are the usual scary pics of the rust before and after. I've been amazed to see what otherwise sane and normal folks are capable of repairing on these cars-incredible!

I'm nowhere near that, but I will have some good practice when this is over

Inside before sandblasting with glass beads
    Name:  P1110988.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  122.2 KB

and after some cutting and welding...
    Name:  P1120740.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  80.8 KB

The inner left rear fender was pretty bad. Probably a clogged drain from the targa bar.
    Name:  P1120491.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  104.8 KB

after lots of cutting
    Name:  P1120599.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  89.9 KB

after lots of welding... and even more grinding...
    Name:  P1120747.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  71.2 KB

I'll pass on the front inner fenders (repaired), front suspension pan (replaced) and slam panel (replaced)... you get the idea!
    So whaddya think, is it going to make it?

I had a close look at the engine (matching no's) and it looks like it's been rebuilt before storage. I'll be back for some advice on how to start it up without doing it any harm! The gearbox is the 5-speed version, but unfortunately the serial no's gone underneath. Is it stamped on another location, or is there a piece somewhere that has the fabrication date stamped on it (possibly without taking it totally appart)?

Now why would the fan be red? Is that common for the S engines in europe?

Name:  P1110913.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  140.8 KB
    ____o0o____

1972 Targa 911S (one day), silver gray (maybe), member 3337

I had a 73E Tourist delivery car to Australia (driven in Europe for 18 mths) that had the same lights mounted in the exact same place, done at the factory

Only came on when you go to high beam wired into the light switch

Maybe that is what is meant by over the bumper high beams so like the first pic
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Banned
    Welcome Dario. You have a great attitude about your project. This community will be eager to assist.
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 01-27-2016 at 04:13 PM. Reason: nice answer.......