Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: time to replace the A008P's - going to 185/70-15

time to replace the A008P's - going to 185/70-15

I'm sad to replace the A008p's (195/65-15) but it's time. I want to go with 185/70-15s on 15 X 6 Fuchs. Looks like Avon, Vredestein, XWX and CN36 are my choices. Budget is not a huge factor, but the XWXs are pricey. There are CN36s on eBay right now, not sure how I would ensure the quality/safety on those.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pirelli-Cint...5VNuBa&vxp=mtr

I really liked the combination of ride and handling with the A008Ps. Of the available options, what would come closest to the A008Ps?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

P.S. do the worn out A008Ps have any value for autocrossers?
    73 911S Targa

I would go with the Avons in the hard compound. I put those on my car (staggered 215 and 185) and really like the handling and look of that profile. When it comes time to replace the 205/60's on deep 6's on my 911, I will order up the Avons in 185/70.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Quote Originally Posted by t6dpilot View Post
    I would go with the Avons in the hard compound. I put those on my car (staggered 215 and 185) and really like the handling and look of that profile. When it comes time to replace the 205/60's on deep 6's on my 911, I will order up the Avons in 185/70.
    thanks - any other opinions out there?
    73 911S Targa

I agree with Scott regarding Avon tires. They work and look period correct too.
    Here is an ancient thread on Avon Tires: http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...von+tire+sizes

I'll buy a set of 175's for the 4.5's on the '67 some day.

Not many "great" choices for a 6 inch wheel. Moving to a 195/65 sizes does widen the field a bit. Pirelli makes the P6000 which is about $200 per tire. I was never a real fan of the CN36's when they were new because of how they wear. Or at least how mine did back in the 80's.

Last year I bought a set of Goodyear Super Sport tires for the '74 911. I have not warmed up to them as there is a lot of yaw before they "bite". They do hold but until they do it's quite vague. I can induce a lot of yaw by "sawing" the wheel back and forth. It's pretty awful. Reminds my of my '72 Bug. Suspension isn't the culprit.

Calculator for sizing to keep your speedometer in the ballpark:http://www.csgnetwork.com/tiresizescalc.html

If Harvey Weidman jumps on the thread you'll learn more about tires than the the combined knowledge of the S Registry brain trust.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

thanks - is that from the SascoSports website? Does the H mean "hard"?
    73 911S Targa

Yes, SascoSports at VIR in Virginia.

Roger Kraus Racing on the West Coast.

H Rating = 130mph
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Hi Bob,

I recently replaced my 205/60s with a set of Michelin 185/70 XWXs.

Plenty of grip but certainly a different feel and the steering is so much sweeter.

Cheers,
    Harry.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  170.2 KB

Harry998R: beautiful car - can I ask what you paid for the tires and where you got them?
    73 911S Targa

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    I just put Avons on my 73. Been 30 years sense 185/70's have been on the car, pretty nice. Odometer error is 1/10 of a mile in 30 mile, amazing. G. Led

Quote Originally Posted by Boulder Bob View Post
    Harry998R: beautiful car - can I ask what you paid for the tires and where you got them?
    Thanks Bob!

I bought the tyres from Longstone Classic Tyres in the UK. They were $2,200 AUD including shipping to Australia. Great service and they arrived in 5 days.

Cheers,

Harry.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  82.9 KB