Thread: Original Glasurit Laquer for 1970 911S

Original Glasurit Laquer for 1970 911S

I thought I would share pictures of some Glasurit lacquer paint that my friend has left over from his 1970 911S that he bought new.

The paint has been in heated storage and 1 of the cans has never been opened.

I have not opened any of them yet but the paint is still liquid sounding when shaken.

Pretty cool cans to have around.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    1969 911T Coupe Blood Orange (Vivy)

On the 356s export cars were delivered with two cans of paint. The brand dependet on the color of the car. Judging by your can this habit might have extended into the 900 series cars. Attached some examples of original 356 paint cans. Ignore the float level gauges

Quote Originally Posted by 718RSK View Post
    On the 356s export cars were delivered with two cans of paint. The brand dependet on the color of the car. Judging by your can this habit might have extended into the 900 series cars. Attached some examples of original 356 paint cans. Ignore the float level gauges
    Very cool!
    1969 911T Coupe Blood Orange (Vivy)

Quote Originally Posted by 718RSK View Post
    On the 356s export cars were delivered with two cans of paint...
    Two cans of Lesonal from a 356, dated 25.8.60.
    Not as many a Joris has, though :-(

Ignore the float level gauges.

Name:  DSCN6989.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  102.9 KB

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Slate Grey Glasso from 1966-67.
    Someone very carefully re-numbered 6601 to read 6801, which you wouldn't have realized if I hadn't pointed it out.

Name:  DSCN6991.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  75.9 KB

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

In 1969 a customer special ordered through my father a 911T targa. He specified special order color "olive". With the car came a can of color match olive paint, a quart can like the ones pictured above.

The new owner loaned the car to his nephew shortly after he got the car. Nephew was out on a drive... and stopped for gas. He decided to check the oil, wanting to be a "good" nephew. He noticed the engine appeared to have low/no oil (car wasn't running). He decided he better add some oil. For whatever reason, he looked into the trunk of the car... and found a "quart can" that looked just like a typical oil can. He assumed it was special german oil, based on the writing on the can. He opened it using a can opener. He saw the semi separated olive paint, which looked like oil to him, and..... he dumped the whole can into the oil filler.

I guess he got a couple of miles....

True story, can't make this kinda stuff up!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon B View Post
    Not as many a Joris has, though :-(
    Hey Jon, yours beat mine easily on condition though. Wow, those are so clean they still shine. I think the back story on yours is also way better

Lacquer is so easy to paint. One can get near perfect results on your first project. At 19, I restored my sea blue '64 VW Karmann Ghia and painted it with lacquer with my first sprayer a DeVilbiss siphon gun. It was so beautiful when done. It still looks good today. Jerry Seinfeld has a sea blue KG Coupe, it's a very pretty color.
    Last edited by Fixer; 02-07-2016 at 03:35 PM.
    Matthew J. Mariani BSID, Member 32689
    Haverford Pennsylvania