Thread: FS: 1968 911 SWT Sportomatic

FS: 1968 911 SWT Sportomatic

It pains me to write this post. This is such a cool car and it has been a pleasure to have worked on it and to see it brought back into service. That is also why it needs to find a new home. I simply don’t have time to drive it as it was intended.

What: 1968 Porsche 911 Soft Window Targa Sportomatic
    VIN: 11880146
    Color: 6809, Tangerine
    Engine: 3380223
    Trans: 3180470 905/00
    Kardex: Yes

This car was purchased about 12 years ago with the idea of doing a repairing the rust, full repaint, full engine rebuild, freshening up needed components, but by in large leaving original as much as possible. The car was completely stripped to uncover the needed repairs. The rust repair was conducted locally and that took about two years and was completed after receiving a single stage Glasurit paint job in the original tangerine. The car then came home to me where it was re-assembled over about 5 years. The motor which ran when I got the car (poorly), became seized from sitting while I had some personal things to deal with for a few years. The engine was disassembled and a full rebuild took place. Cams were sent to Webcam and the crank was polished. Heads were completely rebuilt. The pistons were replaced with new 81mm units and the original barrels were enlarged to accept them. The engine rebuild was completed and upon the first start found to have a leaking nose bearing. The shop that built the motor had moved to a new town so I then took the motor and car to Eric Jones Motorsports who split the case and successfully (leak-free) put it back together. Along this work, they dialed in the carbs, suspension and transmission. The engine has the original smog equipment which is very rare. It is for show only since it is not hooked up. The ports in the heads for the injection have been plugged. The original Hardi fuel pump is included as is a NOS spare unit.
    The Sportomatic is lazy around town, but quite enjoyable when you are putting you foot into it having crisp, quick shifts.
    The interior is basically as found, but cleaned up. Seats have some wear, as do the arm rests and door pockets. An un-cracked replacement 1968 one-year-only dash was sourced to replace the original cracked dash. The original oil sender failed and was replaced with the newer version. The original rear seat delete is in very good condition. There is a new soft window supplied by Autobahn interiors. The front and rear hood gaps are consistent but I will admit the door gaps could be better. The doors shut nicely, I wasn’t planning on selling the car, and the gaps certainly didn’t distract from the driving pleasure so they were left. I think it might be simply need a thinner hinge shim to move the doors forward a tiny amount to even things out. The Targa top has a new liner in it and the original cover, however one of the alignment pins is loose so the top doesn’t sit properly on one rear corner. I have contemplated sending it off to be repaired by Dan P, but I’ve yet to have the top on while on a drive. The original 5-1/2” x 15” Fuchs have been polished and painted. They are in very nice condition with new Falken tires. The spare is a matching 5-1/2” x 15” but it has not been polished and is in original condition. The brakes have also been rebuilt along with a new master cylinder. The original extended hub steering wheel (per Kardex) and old unusable cover will be included. There is currently a 420mm non-extended hub leather wheel on the car. The front windshield is a NOS Sekurit that I purchased when I first got the car. It sat in the basement for 10 years before being installed. The door panels are the original ones which have no speaker holes cut in them. The door pockets could shut tighter and with some heat might better conform to the armrest. To keep things original, the original hood shocks were installed. Yes, they still have the date code stickers, however they aren’t functional as hood shocks. Also, I have yet to find fully correct engine decals for the ’68 US Sportomatic so the original ones are included in a handy zip lock bag.
    I have hundreds of photos of the restoration of this car. Not having sold a car in this fashion, I will do my best to answer questions as promptly as possible. Thanks.

Here is a link to the 500+ photos.
    http://s1165.photobucket.com/user/JT...%20Sportomatic

Asking $120,000
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JT912; 02-04-2016 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Photo link added
    John Thompson

1966 912. My first car. Bought it Nov. 25, 1988. Still have it.

Those side markers were what they were. Leaving them on speaks volumes. Looks like a very authentic and beautiful car!

Yes, the car retains all the bits and pieces you love/hate about a '68.
    John Thompson

1966 912. My first car. Bought it Nov. 25, 1988. Still have it.

Perfect color! Good luck with the sale!

~J~
    air cooled only