Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else have this problem w/ repro orange bar crest?

Anyone else have this problem w/ repro orange bar crest?

A picture speaks a thousand words. The pins are several mm too far apart -- doesn't even come close to fitting. This is a Stoddard item. Curious if anyone else has seen this, as no point in getting a replacement if it's also going to be useless.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Even if they fit I wouldn't use one- they just don't look right- hit up Frank Becks thread on repop parts, lot's of crap parts being sold as correct.
    Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

No, I haven't seen that before. Took a couple off cars I've purchased and, while ugly, they always seemed to fit. Hope that helps.

Have you asked the folks at Stoddard about this,,,,or even sent them this picture?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    Have you asked the folks at Stoddard about this,,,,or even sent them this picture?
    I will in the AM. Wanted to see if this is standard for the re-pop crests (in which case I won't bother with a replacement) or if I got one from a bad batch.

My first one I bought, one of the pins broke off before I could install it.
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    A picture speaks a thousand words. The pins are several mm too far apart -- doesn't even come close to fitting. This is a Stoddard item. Curious if anyone else has seen this, as no point in getting a replacement if it's also going to be useless.
    Your post rang a long dormant bell in the back of my mind when I read it, and I thought this is as good a time as any to add the weight of two additional images that may speak a few more words.

Please note the two photos of the 'PORSCHE' badges, displayed next to each other, which I photographed in the Stoddard booth at the L.A. Lit show last year. If you look closely, you'll notice some minor differences, especially in the stippled background 'rivets', but both are much too yellow, too bright & shiny, way too glitzy & blingy…...they simply don't look right, and anyone can tell instantly that they're looking at pretty shitty reproductions - in view of the quality ( or obvious lack thereof ) I think it's a perfectly legitimate question if either one is worth the posted price. To add injury to insult, in my eyes the less expensive unit seems to resemble the original more closely than the 'premium' priced item. Not to belabor the point, but personally, I find it a source of deep concern that you see these badges on S and RS restorations that go for hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I asked one of their sales people about what I feel is a significant price difference between the two, but never did recieve a reasonable or sensible reason why two almost completely identical reproductions would carry such disparate price tags - perhaps what you illustrate explains the reason for the differential: maybe the buyer has the option of buying the cheap one and then has to drill new holes in the hood, or pop for the pricey one that fits. If that's the case, the information certainly is not forthcoming from Stoddard at the time of purchase.

Could be I'm completely out of line and just being cynical, but I'm still looking for a logical reason to explain the difference in price………..just putting forward a theory.

JZG
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

It's one of those parts that speak volumes about the soul of the car. I know it's just a small crest on the hood, but it's one of the first things you look at when viewing a 911/912. When it's shiny and new and cheap looking, it reflects poorly on the rest of the car. I know the original ones out there are costly, but it's one of those original parts you simply cannot do without, IMO.

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

If anybody has run the gamut collecting/installing repro orange bar badges, would love to hear the grading of all the different ones out there. Are there ANY half decent ones out there.?

Do You think that the factory's item is so bad?
    http://www.classicshop.porsche.com/p...155921027.html