Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starter removal

Question Starter removal

My apologies for the dumb question. I did three searches and came up with nothing.

I had my car apart doing several things to it, rebuilt transaxle, clutch, axle boots, etc, etc. I also had the starter and alt rebuilt.

So now after sitting for a year waiting for me to get the brakes sorted (have PMB built calipers ready to bolt on), the starter says "click, click, click". I am thinking the solenoid because it was working fine. I've already changed the battery out with a new one.

So the top nut on the starter is the problem. I can't get my hand in there. Will unhooking the shifter linkage and dropping the nose of the transaxle help?

Dammit, I was so close.... I can drop the assembly again, I just have to gather jacks and stands and related stuff! I hate doing things twice!!!
    Last edited by dummkopf; 02-12-2016 at 06:15 AM.
    72 911S Targa #0807 95+% German.

Paul Harrop 12.5% German.

Early S #2059

might help - but you can do it after you now how & where to do things w/o any dropping of the nose

it is an Allen hex - I forget which size

you need to get under there and... Hug the Powertrain in an Intimate Embrace

reach around and up while holding whatever yoga position this is - then turn the bit until it goes in & wiggle it to be sure

(I mean wiggle the Allen bit - not anything that is illegal north of Alexandria)

remember: if I can do it, you can do it

maybe take the ratchet handle off if that makes it easier

Thanks!!! You give me hope anyway! I'll have to hunt up another jack to where I can get it higher off the ground. Boy what I would give for a lift!

Early S #2059

A flex head mirror and light will help you first see the bolt to make sure the hex is clean and not bunged up. Then you work blind. Using at least a 6 inch extension helps, taping it in first to ensure solid engagement. Take your time, you'll get it out
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

also take a look in a service manual for what the configuration is - memorize it

BTW, you are just using that jack to put the car on secure jack stands, right?

a friend needs to watch with a cell phone in hand...

PMB not PMO but both are excellent sources.

"Hug the Powertrain in an Intimate Embrace" is a great description. You don't actually want to jack the car up too high- just high enough to wiggle around underneath the engine and transaxle. Lay on your back with your feet towards the front of the car, and your head under the engine, reach around over the top of the transmission with your left arm, and you can reach the bolt. Like John, I use a six inch extension too. You reach around with your right arm to help feel where the hex bolt is, and guide the allen wrench in. It really takes two hands which is why you have to reach around the top of the transmission. With patience you will get it.
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

Quote Originally Posted by ddinham View Post
    PMB not PMO but both are excellent sources.
    Oops, thanks and edited. Yea PMO did my carbs and I have slept since then.

Thanks guys. Yea I have two jackstands, I just need to round up two more.

Early S #2059

two jack stands works just fine. You only need to lift the back end.
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

and that would be safer too - just chock the front wheels carefully