Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FS: @2016 Goodings Amelia Island - 1970 Porsche 911 2.3 ST

different rollbars/ cage & fuelfiller caps?

the fuel filler car looks different, but i am not sure if it is the quality of the photo does not show a fin that is there or there is no fin.
    the roll cage is interesting. here are some photos of what i believe are this car.
    this one IS the car at its first event the Austrian alpine rally: no centre fill and seemingly a simple hoop rollbar although it is a bit difficult to tell
    alpine 1970.png

next is one at the RAC later in the year, again no centre fill and it is hard to find a photo of the roll bar but the first one shows the roll hoop on the drivers side and the second does NOT show a cross brace suggesting that it is still a simple hoop
    New Picture.pngNew Picture (1).png

next is what i believe is the car very soon after Larousse bought it the first one (from the rear) at Montlhery in March 71 and then at Magny Cours in May
    0949 1971 montlhery meznarie.jpg0949 1971 magny cours meznarie.jpg

both of these clearly show a single diagonal brace with the high side on the drivers side, and still no centre fill.

the car with the 93 race number posted above has the diagonal the other way around with the high side on the RHS.
    the Cervannes car and the 1971 TdF car both have centre fill (with a fin) but also still appear to only have the one diagonal on the roll cage, still with the drivers side the high side
    cevannes 1971.png
    New Picture (2).png

the 1972 nurburgring car is a bit harder to see but a close look on my screen shows a single diagonal on the roll bar sill with the high side still being on the drivers side.
    meznarie larrousse ring april 72.jpg

obviously these things can change, but that configuration of roll bar seems the same as I posted for the silver / light blue car above. I am not sure about the filler cap but the front area around horn grills etc is very similar on all the cars, at least after magny cours in may 1971
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

I dug these out from my dresser drawer tonight and wanted to post'm up. Sorry about the reflection from the flash, not my best effort.

Monterey 1998 Porsche 50th
    911ST 004.jpg
    911ST 001.jpg
    911ST 002.jpg
    911ST 003.jpg

Woody

I am here this weekend at Amelia Island so snapped a few extra photos of the car yesterday at the Gooding preview. I didn't specifically photograph the roll bar but you can see from the front picture I took that it has a diagonal cross member with high side on right side (passenger side in this LHD car) of the car. I didn't inspect the cage very closely but it appears like a modern, full welded in cage.

The hood has the center fill cap which appears to be a standard cap and not a finned one. Currently the car is fitted with a temporary fuel cell routed to the standard fender filler door. From the markings on the cell which you can read in the photo, this is intended to be a temporary fuel cell and there's a note that the center fill cell is missing the bladder.

DSCF2759.jpgDSCF2762.jpgDSCF2754.jpgDSCF2764.jpg
    =======
    Out driving new & old Porsches and non P-cars

Hugh, I am d'accord with you. The #93 does not fit in the row regarding to the roll bar/ cage.
    Btw: It is the only one with the Porsche-crest upon the front hood. Apparently the plates - 4833-QC-91 - were changed.

If the silver one could be the same, I am not sure too. Different front valance & bumper(without slots), black anodized chrome parts, missing rear mirror(inside), different wheel arches....

Bildschirmfoto 2016-03-12 um 16.19.21.jpg

that is very good work on the silver / blue one. I am inclined to believe that it is more likely to be another car sharing the same registration plate. I have not been able to pin down the exact time of the event which would help a lot in this as well.

on another note this http://www.goodingco.com/category/amelia-island-2016/ suggests that it did not sell. does anyone know how the bidding went?
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

I unfortunately wasn't able to stay thru the ST lot which was late in the auction yesterday. So I don't know what the high bid got to, but I do know that it did not sell at the auction.
    =======
    Out driving new & old Porsches and non P-cars

High bid has been 900 k$

A few pictures from when Roy Walzer was club racing the car at Lime Rock in '13. Sorry to see it leave the NE, it was always fun to see it on track.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

I've posted these before (my photos); Barth drove the car when Roy Walzer brought it to Laguna Seca in 2013. My understanding is that Barth confirms that it's his '71 TdF car that was a DNF that year, not the '70 winner. Barth was brilliant in his race at Laguna after a small electrical fire in the tach wiring put him at the back of the grid for the main. He passed most of the field. It's a commentary on the auction-house culture that Seinfeld cars with far less interesting histories brought more money from bidders than this superb car. I'm not surprised that the current owner chose not to cut it loose at the reported high bid.

-- David
    Attached Images Attached Images