Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is rustproofing a good thing?

Darn..we put the engine in the wrong place!

Is rustproofing a good thing?

I just noticed that my 1970 911T which I recently purchased has what appears to be plastic plugs in the doors. I assume
    these are from rustproofing the car at some point. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I have heard of rustproofing trapping
    water and actually fostering rust. There is no paperwork showing that rustproofing was done and the PO did not mention it, though
    the car is 100% rust free. Just checking.

That method of rust proofing put Zeibart, Rusty Jones, Tuff Cote, and more out of business. where the hole was drilled, it broken the paint for moisture to get in and start the rusting process. The hole would start the size of a marble, and then to basketball size.
    I was in Switzerland about 10 years ago looking at a 71 T Targa with 16K miles on it. I saw those plugs all over the car and ran away.

Thanks for the info but the holes look fine with no paint chips and as I said car is 100% rust free. BTW, Ziebart is still in business.

Every one in the Northeast is gone. Anyway, if it is in great shape, I would consider it. The drilled holes would bug me. If you are OK with it, then it's not a problem.

My 70-S was Ziebarted when new (have the records) and it too seemed to have done its job. As for the plastic plugs, no issues around them as well but during the full restoration I am doing I will be removing them and and welding in steel plugs for cosmetic reasons

My low mileage '74 914 2.0L has had the Ziebart treatment and has the plugs.....I've been lucky and haven't had any rust.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    JEFF BRINTON
    ESR #1572
    1968 911N
    1974 914 2.0L
    2023 Macan
    SOLD - 1967 911N / 1968 911L / 1967 911N / 1969 912 / 1991 964 C2 / 2013 991.1 / 2008 987 Cayman

What state do you , or the car live in?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cabell View Post
    What state do you , or the car live in?
    I'm assuming your asking me this question.....I live in PA and purchased the car from Minneapolis. The car was originally from the Denver area.
    JEFF BRINTON
    ESR #1572
    1968 911N
    1974 914 2.0L
    2023 Macan
    SOLD - 1967 911N / 1968 911L / 1967 911N / 1969 912 / 1991 964 C2 / 2013 991.1 / 2008 987 Cayman

My plugs are different. They are black and have no writing on them. I am the third
    owner and the second owner was from Wisconsin.

Don H

When one does paint-less dent removal, you need to plug the access hole afterward. When removing door dings the pros
    drill small access holes rather than remove the door card because it's faster and they lever against the door frame at the opening
    to slowly work the ding out. They are usually in a convenient location for a human to kneel and directly in line with the ding.

Probably the plugs you're seeing were for this. But if you're still curious pull the door card and let us know.
    Matthew J. Mariani BSID, Member 32689
    Haverford Pennsylvania