Thread: Chasing a VIN in California

Lightbulb Chasing a VIN in California

Years ago I bought a 1968 912 with a Salvage Certificate for a parts car. Ten years later at the Phoenix Club swap meet an English gent wanted the parts I had and inquired about the rest of the car, which was still in my shed. To make a long story short, he bought the entire wrecked car and had it shipped to England where he had it beautifully restored. When the car was ready for registration, the VIN on the Salvage Certificate did not match the stamped VIN on the car. I think what had happened is that when the car was declared a salvage in California, it was assigned a new VIN. Anyway, the car could not be titled in England because of the discrepancy. The English gent recently called me for assistance. After visiting my local California DMV office, and getting no joy, I called the Sacramento DMV office and received the following advice: have the English gent download two specific forms on-line and have his local magistrate verify the correct VIN. Mail the completed forms and the original Salvage Certificate to the DMV office in Sacramento.

I have posted this story for two reasons. (1) When buying a car, even a wreck, make certain that the VIN stamped on the car matches the title. While this may sound like a no-brainer, this one slipped by because it was a salvage vehicle. (2) Even though the vehicle is now overseas with a VIN discrepancy, there is light at the end of the tunnel to get the problem resolved.
    Jerry G

"Confidence is the feeling you
    have before you fully understand
    the situation."

There is usually a way- if the VIN doesn't show up on a stolen vehicle list. I recently titled two cars that had been abandoned. With the VIN on the car, a little research by the local police department and a certificate of authenticity, I was able to go before a Judge get titles. One of the cars had been previously titled in the state with the wrong model year, and with the certificate of authenticity, I was able to title it with the correct year.
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

Jerry

Can you go back to the dismantler and have him check his records? He could simply make out a duplicate Salvage Bill of Sale with the correct number. Chances are that DMV no longer has any record of the Acquisition number (along with all the vin data) in their data base and won't be able to help you. You could fill out a statement of facts with the correct VIN number and it should suffice.

Regards

Jim
    Licensed California Auto Dismantler

Thanks for the suggestion, Jim. I bought the car from a friend whose son attempted to drive the 912 through a fence, with no success. The car went to a salvage yard and was bought back from my friend. I then bought the car from him, just for the engine and other parts. I recently called my friend just to check if he could (1) remember me, (2) remember the car, (3) remember if he had the original Certificate by chance, and (4) if he could remember who the dismantler was. The best he could do was to remember me! Three years ago I had actually trailered the car to the overseas shipper in LA. But since I had no intention, at the time, to do anything with the 912 except for parts, I never even looked at the VIN on the car nor the Certificate. Remember when restoring a 912 coupe was not worth the money nor effort? Not too smart on my part, nor the shipping agent.

Hope to see you at the Lit meet and Phoenix Club swap meet this year. Lots of fun. FYI, it was at the Phoenix Club three years ago that I sold the 912 and acquired the '67 911S Bahama Yellow Targa that is now approaching completion. I simply love the soft window Targas. Unfortunately, it is not mine to keep.
    Jerry G

"Confidence is the feeling you
    have before you fully understand
    the situation."