Thread: How to flush an oil tank?

How to flush an oil tank?

I'm getting ready to drive my car down to the LA Lit Meet in a couple of weekends so I decided to work on a few projects before heading that way. Since it's the longest trip I've planned thus far (about 6.5 hours one way) I was going to do some preventive maintenance while I was doing the standard oil change, valve adjustment and timing.

My oil tank was caked in grease and crud (pretty standard for an unrestored car I'd guess) so I decided to pull it out and clean / repaint it. I got it all degreased and stripped and while doing so I wasn't able to keep all the stuff I cleaned / stripped from getting inside the tank due to all the openings (maybe I should have taped them up?). After I was done I flushed it several times by essentially filling it with water, shaking it up really well and dumping. I did this 3 or 4 times and the water coming out appeared to free of debris but I'm not sure if there's something else I should do before reinstalling it or if that method will suffice.

I know there is a pickup line in the tank to the engine oil pump and that goes through the filter first before heading to the engine so I assume (never good I know) that anything I missed would be filtered out prior to the oil getting to the engine. I don't want to cut corners so if I need to take it to a radiator shop or some place similar that can flush it I will but thought I'd ask the experts first.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Stretch
    Registry # 3063

No, the oil goes straight from the tank to the oil pump, the filter is in the return path. I would flush the tank with mineral spirits and the air it out well before use. maybe start with some alcohol to get rid of the water...
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green

member #1515
    I don't know where you live, but there are aircraft service shops who can do this very well. I wouldn't take a risk just rinsing it out. I think its baffled, so makes it easy to trap small particles.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Thanks for the input gents. I'll get it cleaned out professionally to avoid any issues.

Stretch
    Registry # 3063

Quote Originally Posted by M_deJong View Post
    No, the oil goes straight from the tank to the oil pump, the filter is in the return path. I would flush the tank with mineral spirits and the air it out well before use. maybe start with some alcohol to get rid of the water...
    That is what I used, mineral spirits.
    72 911S Targa #0807 95+% German.

Paul Harrop 12.5% German.

Early S #2059