Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SWB Question: Dash Knob Lighting (65-67 vs. 68)?

SWB Question: Dash Knob Lighting (65-67 vs. 68)?

I hope I can state this question clearly...

Based on the literature I have reviewed, it appears that the 65-67 dash had solid knobs with tiny center lights, fed by an illuminating tube (that extended from the bulb to the surface of the knob). Only a little dot (from the illuminating tube) lit up, located in the center of the knob, when the lights were turned on.

Conversely, in '68, it appears that the knob was re-designed with a soft rubber outer ring, and the entire center was a picture that was lighted.

My question is whether the lighting for the knob was anything more than the bulb?

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    There are some photos of a '66 911 at Bring a Trailer (the auction closed recently) which show the illuminated switches:

Name:  IMG_4469-1.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  67.5 KB

The center switch on this car has a big light for the emergency four-way flasher. My car doesn't have an emergency four-way flasher.

But, to your main question:

Quote Originally Posted by mshaver51 View Post
    My question is whether the lighting for the knob was anything more than the bulb?
    I believe there's just that one little light bulb. What other source of illumination did you have in mind?
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

i couldn't figure out whether there was also a light filament/rod in the '68 knob. i think you are saying that the '68 knob has a soft rubber ring, with a plastic center insert that lights up (with a bulb behind it). in '68 all 3 of the dash knobs were like that.

as your photo shows, the others had a light filament with a colored tip (green, yellow or red, i think).

if the soft-rubber knobs ('68) had only a plastic insert with the light bulb behind, that's great. just trying to make sure that my homework is correct.

'68 knobs are illuminated in a similar fashion. There is no bulb directly beneath the plastic bezel.
    John Thompson

1966 912. My first car. Bought it Nov. 25, 1988. Still have it.

To be a little more accurate 65-68 knobs were the same with the exception of 1968 US cars, which got the US required safety rubber around the knob.
    The knobs on my 68S, which was ordered by a individual (grey market) for the US, are identical to the earlier years. No rubber ring, illuminated the same as the earlier cars.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tucson AZ.

okay, mine is a US porsche 911, so that is the question.

what is the illumination?

I believe it is just like John said, illuminated in the same fashion as the earlier knobs but with a rubber safety wrapped around the knob. There is no bulb in the knob.
    Tucson AZ.

Some photos maybe help...

Before:
    Name:  knobs.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  99.6 KB

During renovation:
    Name:  knobs (1).jpg
Views: 413
Size:  83.6 KB

Disassembly:
    Name:  knobs (2).jpg
Views: 423
Size:  89.5 KB

Post-disassembly:
    Name:  knobs (3).jpg
Views: 371
Size:  85.3 KB

Reinstalled:
    Name:  knobs (4).jpg
Views: 401
Size:  50.5 KB
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

picture from 911 US-delivery March 1968:
    Stefan

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx911 US-delivery 130PS MJ68

Quote Originally Posted by 68er View Post
    picture from 911 US-delivery March 1968:
    Was this vehicle equipped with fogs from the factory or done stateside?
    MBR #2637
    AKA boschdog
    1968 911 Normal Coupe
    Houston, Texas