Thread: WTB: 1965/66 Rear Decklid/Engine Lid

WTB: 1965/66 Rear Decklid/Engine Lid

Hi,

I am looking for a rear decklid, preferably from an early 912 (just so the decklid emblem holes align). However, I would consider a decklid from a 911 of the same vintage.

I am interest in one that does not require metal repair (for example removal/replacement of rusted or severely damage sections) and is straight (no impact damage - small dents are okay, depending on where they are). Surface rust is acceptable.

For those not familiar with the distinction between early 911/912 decklids, I have included two pictures of early models (with the center bar in the grill opening). The one on the left, without the tab for the rear wiper, is desired.

Thank you,

Steve

Decklids-posting.jpg

I have one that looks exactly like the one with the X through it, lol. Please, can knowledgable folk here help me identify which year I've got. There is a stamping; S 393 on it? I can provide pictures if necessary. I am happy to sell as I am embarking on my own project and have been buying many expensive parts myself from sellers here mostly.

According to Dr. Johnson (911&912 Porsche: A Restorer's Guide to Authenticity), the same lid (the one on the left, with the check on it) was used on 911's/912's prior to mid-1968. At that point, the center bar went away. But, sometime in 1967 the tab (circled in the "X'd" out lid) was added to accommodate a rear window wiper, prior to the change in lids in mid-1968. So, I would say you have a lid from 1967 year 911/912.

image.jpgAlways easier with a photo. Mine is really straight, still original paint and still lights attached and wired fwiw. I also have the left front fender from the same clean original paint car, not to hijack your thread about that. Does the lid interest you? Has angled 'script' for '91?' I know the wiper arm tab is present, but perhaps ez to make disappear? image.jpg
    Last edited by Mang; 02-23-2016 at 01:33 PM.

Mang,

That's a nice looking lid. I'm trying to get my car back to period-correct parts whenever I purchase additional parts. Otherwise I would take you up on the offer. I'd like to eventually restore it and every $ I spend on it would i like it to move in that direction.

Steve