Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with fuel pull line to open the gas lid

Help with fuel pull line to open the gas lid

Mr Laws and I are stumped as how the wire from the end of the fuel pull goes around the antenna to the gas lid. Seems the antenna is in the way ?? Any help appreciated !! George Kehler Name:  image.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  32.0 KB

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    I think there's supposed to be a tube guiding the pull cable around the antenna. Here's a photo of my 911:

Name:  IMG_4503.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  57.5 KB

My car has been repainted so I can't guarantee that all the parts in there are the original colors. Some VERY early 901s/911s had a different fuel filler release, but your car's probably later than mine judging by the bolts holding your door hinges.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Unfortunately all that needs to go on before the door is installed, might still get it all in with much swearing
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Its been quite a while ago, but I believe one can create the tube using two tubes: one that is larger than the tube coming out from the passenger cabin, the the second that slides into it. The latter being about the same size as the form. Once joined one can slide the release cable through. Not stock but close.
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Another picture from my old 71E. Like Jimīs car, also been repainted etc.

Name:  Fuel pulltube.JPG
Views: 371
Size:  119.9 KB
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery

Shift Knob Maker
    http://www.stoddard.com/90150438520.html

I neglected to install mine before installing the the door. As Ed stated, is doable, but was a PIA..

Mark..

any other tips to install the original tube AFTER the door and fender are on (ugh) are appreciated

If it helps, the door is easily removed by undoing the door stay pin and then with the door fully open, drive the hinge pins out with the appropriate tool. Such won't disturb the door alignment. Understand if you are looking for a solution without doing that, but with the assistance of a helper it is no big deal.

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mac73s View Post
    If it helps, the door is easily removed by undoing the door stay pin and then with the door fully open, drive the hinge pins out with the appropriate tool. Such won't disturb the door alignment. Understand if you are looking for a solution without doing that, but with the assistance of a helper it is no big deal.
    I'll second that. At least with my 356, pulling the pins and taking the door off is pretty easy. There might be a "special tool" involved to pull one of the pins. I just put a big nail-pulling crowbar in the pin head, held the far end and hit the bar near the pin with a hammer.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Thanks guys for all the help !!! I will add that part to the list !!! So many little pieces. You'alls help is what makes this forum ROCK !! George Kehler