Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 100 low lead aviation fuel in a 1966 911. Yes/No ?

100 low lead aviation fuel in a 1966 911. Yes/No ?

I say yes to pure fuel that does not break down or contain questionable ingredients. Others say waste of money, low compression engines. I hope Paul Abbott can chime in on this question. Original Solex traded out for 2.2 T Weber's a long time ago. Skeeters

I tried 100LL in my '67 911S for awhile. I am not sure whether the 100LL or the 10% ethanol attacked the diaphragms in my Webers, but something did. 100LL is greatly enhanced by aerobatics -- you can smell the toluene, so I would nominate it for the cu;sprit attacking the diaphragms.

Approach with caution.

Interesting. I had a small plane some time ago. I did a STC for auto gas. Within 4 months both the rubber fuel lines for the wing tanks and the carb had deteriorated. It was a real expensive mess. I live in California. Your results may very. Skeeters

I use 110 leaded race fuel in my 65 but it is set up for this. Only 2 places within 40 miles supplies it and not street legal if caught.

Every good thing in California is illegal. I am looking for jet sizes if you dare to share. My altitude is 4000 feet. Appreciate it, Dan

Don't bother: it's expensive, you can't buy it at the regular pumps, the formulation is different than racing gas (anti-freezing additives, among others), it fouls everything from plugs to valves to moving parts, and lead is a poison that reduces IQ. And for a 2,2 T motor, entirely unnecessary due to the better combustion chamber shape and low compression ratio (9,1:1).
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Low Lead Av Fuel

Name:  AirStrip.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  183.1 KB

ANY LEADED FUEL WILL DESTROY CATALYTIC CONVERTERS-

I live outside Philly. We have the Simeone museum nearby- a 3/4 BILLION DOLLAR antique racing car collection. SUNOCO donates aviation fuel (don't know if it is low-lead) because unlike lesser museums ALL these antique race cars are ready to DRIVE. Dr. Simeone is a second generation brain surgeon and collects mostly Italian antique race cars although he does have an eight-cylinder 917.

Every month or so he has his team fire-up a couple monsters for a "Demo Day" and they banzai around the substantial parking lot behind the museum. It is not likely any of these cars see third gear- But it is a lot of fun!

They use aviation fuel because it lasts longer without generating varnish or going into phase separation like the rotten gas that we get for road use.

I have a '69S and my friend has a '72T and we occasionally pick up a few gallons low lead aviation fuel for the 911s at our local regional airport. It does NOT make the cars faster- They seem to run smoother but I'll bet it is human nature not the fuel. Octane simply slows down combustion, it is not more "powerful" as advertised (modern engine management will advance timing with high octane fuel and that IS faster). My 2L S loves airplane gas since the '69 S has an occluded flame front from the extreme design of the combustion chambers. Our cars are so valuable now that experimentation with detonation seems silly unless one is robbing banks.

The best reason for using any leaded fuel is to get a little lead in the system to lubricate the engine's valve seats (and MFI plungers). The fear that unleaded fuel would ruin valve seats never materialized to the extent promised by naysayers. Some folks switched to Stellite valve seats- it has been not necessary.

Since low lead AV fuel is not hydroscopic it will not cause water corrosion like the junk from gas stations when fuel sits saturated with water from our "open" fuel systems. Pilots are far more worried about getting a slug of water on take-off since a crash usually results. That is why you will see pilots on pre-flight inspections opening a tap on wing tanks and dribbling out some fuel onto the tarmac to make sure there is no condensation water at the bottom of their fuel tanks.

Just picking up a few gallons to have fun I believe is harmless. It has not harmed my Webers in the limited quantities I have used. I would not recommend running (modern) AV gas straight all the time, among other reasons it is brutally expensive. Remember it has no ROAD TAX so it is unlawful. Don't get it on you- lead is poison and absorbed through the skin.

Try some AV gas, exceed local speed limits and Enjoy!

I have a 70 396 L78 Nova that has 11:1 compression from the factory. While it needs octane to run properly (will detonate on straight 93 pump gas) I have used every combo of available fuel to see what it "likes" best. Cam 2 (110) is around $9/gal, great fuel, engine loves it, but obviously expensive, Avgas is $5.25/gal, and I have a readily available source. Tried running straight Avgas, engine DID NOT like it, even with the octane and a high compress engine. Bitch to start, fouls plugs and not so good idle quality. I found that a 50/50 mix of 93/Avgas works best for this engine. Seems that the 93 gives better start and idle quality and Avgas mix gives a boost of Octane, to kill the ping. Best combo for this motor

I've got an article coming out next week about all of this - or at least a lot of this.

The one item that's new is the VP Vintage gasoline. It comes in both leaded and unleaded and they can ship it to your home in 15-gallon containers. The good part is that it remains stable for 2 years. Normal gasoline that you purchase locally has a 90-day shelf life.

As soon as the article comes out I'll publish the link.

Richard Newton
    Car Tech Stuff

It's time one of you starts importing this to the USA. Solves most of my fuel issues!

http://en.aspen.se/Consumer/Motor_sport