Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Difference in HP between MFI vs. Carbs ???

Difference in HP between MFI vs. Carbs ???

What is the difference in HP (if any) between an MFI engine vs. a carbureted engine everything else being equal? I'm guessing there are a lot of subtleties in that question such as type of carbs, etc...but generally speaking.

For example, I have a 2.2E engine that is being rebuilt but I do not have the MFI for it. If I rebuilt it with carbs am I sacrificing any HP? I'm guessing some responsiveness probably (maybe?) but what else?

Any suggestions on carbs for a 2.2E? Anyone have a complete MFI system for sale for this engine?
    '66 911 - Light Ivory | Early '66 with Solex Carbs
    '72 911T - Aubergine originally | now Bahia Red | "S" options | 2.2S P&C's

I have it on good authority that MFI can add about 9 hp at high rpm. OTOH it adds a large amount of wt. which was not a problem for a diesel tractor...

hmmm... what else - well carbs can sputter on a hard 90o corner

If you look at the S Specs just on paper, a 68S carb engine produces 160 HP, and a 69S MFI engine produces 170 HP (1.6 HP per). Not much difference if either is not optimized per its application IMO. However, there are valve size differences between the two, but cam profile I believe is the same as well as displacement. Each is pretty cool, but the edge for cool factor is probably MFI, whereas carbs probably offer a wider spectrum of engine customization in general (Weber, PMO's). As far as complete systems, there are several folks on this site that can sell you everything you need for a 2.2 MFI setup but if you are not going for originality why bother IMO.
    MBR #2637
    AKA boschdog
    1968 911 Normal Coupe
    Houston, Texas

I believe the original H.P. spec for the carbureted 906 was 210, the change to MFI raised it to 220, going from memory here, but should be roughly correct.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

member #1515
    Its not all about HP, the direct throttle response from MFI is the magic.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

I couldn't see any difference when driving between MFI and carbs.

^ that's kind of where i am. I'm finishing my project using mfi only because the parts were all there and in restored condition. But, if it gives me any headaches , there will be a 2.7 mfi system up for sale in a heartbeat

Quote Originally Posted by rstarga View Post
    its not all about hp, the direct throttle response from mfi is the magic.
    Whoooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
    Member #2768 http://www.no-speedlimit.it

• 1973 Biancaneve - 911 2.4 S/F Ivory
    • 1977 Fiona - 911 Carrera 3.0 Oak Green Metallic
    • 1993 Bellatrix - 964 Turbo 3.6 Black

I keep a registry of 1972 and 1973 2.4 S coupé chassis. Infos always welcome!!!

Instagram
    Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    Its not all about HP, the direct throttle response from MFI is the magic.
    +1
    When I ran my first MFI set up, I couldn't believe how fast I could rev that engine up and down.

Quote Originally Posted by 37yrold911 View Post
    I couldn't see any difference when driving between MFI and carbs.
    There must be a difference. The 72 / 73 MFI T cars put out more horsepower than their European carbureted brethren. Everything on those engines is the same as far as I know other than the MFI and carbs.