Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gasoline

Gasoline

A few new things about gasoline. The Shell engineers say that pump gasoline with ethanol has a 90 day shelf life.

VP Racing has a gasoline with a 2-year shelf life that they can ship to your home in 15-gallon cans. I know that the Revs Institute uses this gasoline exclusively.

Name:  Gas 1W.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  58.9 KB

Here's the whole article.

Richard Newton

How is shelf life when filling a tank that is half full? Does partial filling of a fuel tank mixing old and new gas affect shelf life?
    I always use stabil in my car that is infrequently driven. It claims to extend all straight gasoline to E85 for 12 months.
    E Sully
    1973.5 911T

I use Marine Stabil. As best I can find, it contains some sort of corrosion inhibitor (good to protect the wetted parts of my fuel system made of steel) and some magic elixir to keep my fuel from going stale. I drive my 911 regularly and need to fill at least once per month. I figure the combination of the frequent use of my car plus the Stabil has been doing it's job in protecting my fuel system. Do I have hard data? No, but it does seem to help as I have had no fuel delivery problems for at least 8 years.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

I've been using Lucas racing octane booster. Says illegal but no pinging last summer during blend session.
    Last edited by Bob Harriman; 03-05-2016 at 06:35 PM.

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    In Oregon we can buy clear premium, no alachol, from Chevron and others. G

The best we can do in FL is 87 octane for ethanol free. At least it's readily available though.

Richard Newton

We've still got some Sunoco stations with race fuel here in Michigan. Many different types of leaded and unleaded available.

Sunoco Race Gas Map

how cool would that b to have "white glove" delivery of Shell racing gas - a vintage shell truck pulls up to the house each Saturday and a man in vintage coveralls brings 15 gal containers of racing gas for $25 a gal. for a small tip he will even fill your tank - sign me up
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

I agree that the real fix to this problem is to keep the ethanol out of your tank. Here is a website that lists the stations that sell ethanol free fuel by state, http://pure-gas.org.
    Joe
    1973 911 2.7mfi
    Early 911 Registry member #759
    RGruppe #499

What problems am I supposed to be having with Ethanol? I have been using it in my 70S ever since it was mandated- 20 plus years now and can't think of any problems caused by the gas, but I do drive the car and at the very least, use a tank a month.
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S