Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing Blaupunkt Frankfurt

Darn..we put the engine in the wrong place!

Installing Blaupunkt Frankfurt

Just bought a Blaupunkt Franfurt to install in my
    '70 911T. Are there any tricks to doing this?

The Royal Borough of Greenwich, London, UK
    The key seems to be to get the correct facia plate part no. 11 on Stefan's illustration. The first one I got was a little too wide to fit inside the dash trim, the second has the square hole in the middle a little too large. I'll let you know how it goes.

I actually found the number 11 metal fascia to be the easiest part to source. Available on Ebay from (IIRC) Woody's Custom Shop for maybe $20. Mine fit fine, albeit in a 73. The hard-to-source parts are 8/8a and 12. They both pop up periodically in the classifieds here (user name is enoz05 I think). Number 7 can be had from a 914 radio install kit sold by Automobile Atlanta. The kit also includes the speaker wire cable. I didn't buy the kit, but from the image on their website the bracket and cable look right for 911s. The other stuff in the kit is 914 specific.

Depending on the model you bought, the radio may or may not be long enough to fit directly into the #7 rear bracket in the illustration. The shorter Frankfurts need a small extension mounted on the back (there is a small threaded stud on the rear of the radio for this) . The Automobile Atlanta kit image looks to have something like that so it may work.

Installation is more or less something like this. Going from memory of an installation a year ago but it should be close.

1. Mount side clips 8/8a over volume and tuning posts with nuts
    2. Mount extender on back of radio if needed
    3. Mount #7 bracket onto slots that are already in the chassis to accept the tabs (you'll see this when you twist your body to get your head under the dash. Have fun!)
    4. Slide radio in from the front of the dashboard (front in this context being the side you see when driving)
    5. Attach power, antenna, and speaker cables while radio is loose (could also be done before sliding in)
    6. Slide radio into #7 until 8/8a clips lock radio in place
    7. Bend fascia (to which you have glued appropriate dash vinyl) so that you can engage it in the top and bottom dash channels. This will require massaging to flat after install, but it's sheet metal and bends easily
    8. Install #12 bezel, which, if correct, will snap flush and completely covers the dial rectangular opening
    9. Install knobs
    10. Turn on and enjoy that awesome mono sound!

One thing I did not use in my installation was item 10 in the illustration. These look like support spacers for the front fascia. No idea where to source, don't think they are needed anyway.
    Jeff Jensen

The Royal Borough of Greenwich, London, UK
    This is a very useful guide Jeff, the parts 8.*a and 10 are available from a German company who supplied them with my re-furbished FRANFURT, although the facia they supplied was too wide to fit the dash channels as I described. https://www.koenigs-klassik-radios.de

here is another source for mounting hardware in germany

http://oldtimerradio.de/shop/

Using the search function got me to this thread, which provides very good step-by-step instructions on radio installation (thank you, Möbius911). In one of the attached images, I added corresponding graphics to the instructions.

Based on the installation instructions, it appears the Radio Cover Plate (called “fascia” in the instructions) mechanically clips to the top and bottom channels of the Dash Support Frame. It seems careful prying will remove the Radio Cover Plate from the channels. For visual reinforcement, I have attempted to show details in the second image.

Before I attempt removal, can someone with removal/installation experience point out if I am missing anything?

My car is a 1972 911. The radio is a Blaupunkt Frankfurt.

Thank you,
    Bryan
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Looks spot on to me
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Closing my loop on this exercise - First, sincere appreciation to forum participants mobius911 for the previously posted installation instructions and BOYER73S’s verification. With their help and guidance, the installation went very smoothly, without complication.

I was lucky to purchase an original, like-new Blaupunkt Frankfurt 7 639 670 A from E-Bay seller: josephs-retro-sound. The in-dash speaker was purchased from Woody’s Custom Shop. Paired to my iPhone using the radio’s 6-DIN connection and an AUX/Mp3 adapter connection, sound quality is surprising - much better than expected from the Frankfurt’s whopping 3.5 watts of output power and single in-dash speaker. My guess is the original 1972 radio system did not make Jethro Tull sound this good.

I would like to extend additional appreciation to the following resources. They were extremely responsive and helpful, offering a broad array of vintage and retrofit options.

http://www.vintageblau.com/

https://creativecaraudioshop.com/home

In case anyone runs into the issue I had:

The clips shown in the above illustration 'buried' the Frankfurt I had in the dash. I wanted it to move rearward enough to install the collar nuts and have the chrome rings functional.

To do that, I had to fabricate my own brackets that I made to go on the volume and tuning stalks. I made each side of 2 strips of steel: one to prop against the lip of the radio opening from the rear, and one from the front. Fiddly, but it allowed the radio to sit correctly in the dash.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Interesting. I did not encounter a similar problem. On mine, parts #10 (when adjusted to the back of the Part #11 faceplate) set the mounting height for the levers and knobs.