Thread: Help: Chrome touch-up on front trim

Help: Chrome touch-up on front trim

Hi all,
    I'm very new to the forum and I’ve already read tons of treads.
    I own a 911 2.4T from 1973... the car is in very good condition considering it's 43 years old.

I’d like to ask you wich is the best way (or product to use) to touch-up front and rear window trims.
    Mine seems corroded by water or some sort of acids, see attached pictures.

Can you please suggest a way to fix those trims without removing the front/rear glass.

Did someone here had the same problem and as been able to touch-up the trim in place?

I’d like the “patina” of the car but those trims seems horrible... to me.
    In your experience, better to leave “as is”... Please give advices.

Thanks in advance
    Attached Images Attached Images    

The trim pieces you show are not chrome. They are aluminum which has been "brite-dip" anodized. I'm afraid there is no way to rejuvenate these without removing the windshield/rear window, and removing the trim pieces. Then either send them out to be refinished (not recommemded) or buy new ones (still available from Porsche), reinstall in the rubber gaskets, install gaskets on glass, and reinstall glass. It might be possible to slightly "improve" the appearance with a corrosion removing chemical (keep off paint!), but given that the anodizing has been compromised that would only be a very temporary, blotchy, result. Perhaps someone else on the forum has a magic trick for this?

I know nothing about this product having never used it, but it has received some favorable mention on an M-B website.
    https://mercedessource.com/store/ano...estoration-kit
    Please report back if you use it.

That kit on the MBZ site....power anything on brite dip will damage and/or remove what anodizing is left.

It sounds like some kind of mild acidic stripper that removes the old clouded anodizing and then polishes the native aluminum. Some aluminum polishes have an oil/wax base that will keep the aluminum btrighter a little longer.....the emphasis on little.

If the gaskets are original 40+ years old, they should be replaced anyway! Water is getting in there.
    I
    Remove and replace. Re finishing the trm will be as if not more expensive than just buying new.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

Thank you for all your suggestions.

I was sure that it was chrome ... so, now correctly googling about anodization cleaning i saw that in some cases WD-40 could help.
    Someone has used after paint/metal sealant or carnauba wax to prevent oxidation.

I'd like to keep the car as stock as possible (an old lady do not have to seems like a 20 years old babe), even if gaskets are very old i'd prefer to keep "as is" if i can't touch-up. (And water should not be a problem 'cause if it's rainy the car stays at home).
    Probably someday I'll re-finish the whole exteriors (paint has 40+ y.o. and needs detailing) like trims and chrome windows, my next scheduled jobs are the chain tensioners upgrade (and i expect that once engine is open more stuff to be fixed or to be replace pops out)...

I'll post results after WD-40 even if I imagine that I'll not see a "night&day" difference.

Thank you all for your help.

Finally found a really OLD solution... and it worked very good.

Name:  IMG_20160424_022420.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  153.6 KB

This product seems to not be available from Porsche ... the original VW code was 000.096.061 just in case someone can find it.

After polishing the trim I've used a bit of Ti-22 (form Angelwax) Sealant to prevent further oxidization.

The original bright dip anodizing was destroyed by some windshield cleaner. You removed the bright dip anodize residue and polished the bare aluminum.
    If you are happy with the results then it worked for you. The trim certainly looks better than it did in the photos.
    This is a big part of owning and restoring these cars. Knowing when to stop. I have installed a used trim piece on a friends car just so we didn't put on a new set and make the rest of the trim....and the car look old.
    How about some photos in show your ride?
    H

Harvey,
    thank you for your reply, excuse me for late reply, I was out for work.

You wrote a big part of owning and restoring these cars is knowing when to stop and I agree with you a lot.
    Personally i'm always torn, as many of us, I suppose. I always take time to think and i usually end up concluding that none can return to past. My Porsche is 43 y.o. unrestored and with a never-splitted engine-case... Something has to show that she is an old lady.

In the next few week i'll participate to a local classic cars show event... I'll surely post some pics and share with the community.

At the moment I'm detailing the car ... Manually sealing and waxing paint by hand ... a very hard work!

Thank you for your suggestions