Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Correct seat belt eye bolts for 1967 911

Correct seat belt eye bolts for 1967 911

Can anyone share details of the correct eye bolts which would have been used for seat belts in a 1967S / sports purpose car. interested to see eye bolts which would have been used on the rear parcel shelf and for the front belts. I am familiar with the bolts used for the shoulder belt for front seats which would have been connected to the rear qtr panels.

Looking for an original set or alternatively does anyone know anyone who is reproducing these

thanks
    Mark

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    I just checked my old seatbelts and I think this might have been original to my car:

Name:  2016-03-08 09.01.28.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  148.1 KB

I think the threaded portion is 7/16" and 20 threads per inch. Note that my car had US-made belts when I got it back in 1997 but it was picked up in Wiesbaden.

Also, the seat belt mounting changed late in the 1967 model year--the original style was used up to coupe # 308090.
    Last edited by NeunElf; 03-08-2016 at 08:36 AM.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Not to hijack the thread, but this is what I have in my 67 as a shoulder mount I was wondering if there was a shoulder mount or if there were only lap belts. ?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    M.A.Spirito

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maspirito View Post
    Not to hijack the thread, but this is what I have in my 67 as a shoulder mount I was wondering if there was a shoulder mount or if there were only lap belts. ?
    All the early cars had a mounting receptacle for a shoulder harness mount. Stoddards now sells a reproduction of the "correct" shoulder harness mount:

Name:  sic-803-123-21-set-pic2-stoddard-harry-szabrak_copy_4.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  70.2 KB

Here's how my OLD seat belt attached:

Name:  IMG_4482.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  115.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_4483.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  124.8 KB

I suppose it goes without saying that the shoulder harness mounts on your car need some work. When my car was being restored (circa 1998) I went to a long gone Porsche Salvage Yard in El Monte, CA and they cut the portion out of a body shell for me. The body guys welded that into my car.

European Collectibles has a 1966 prototype race car right now with a stripped interior. I took some photos for a friend who has concerns with original parcel shelves in his '68 911S. Unfortuneatly, the race car was closed and it has a black interior--maybe you can make out something:

Name:  Shoulder_1.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  92.5 KB
    Name:  Shoulder_2.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  49.7 KB
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

That picture is frightening!
    Your car (1967) would have come with a shoulder belt mounting that would have had a 8mm captive nut. It looks like some one, crudely, welded in a 7/16 captive nut that would resemble what a 68 would have looked like.

Regards

Jim

So if I understand correctly that aluminum colored knob looks like it inserts into the captive circular piece that's welded to the inside of the car, and the bolt holds it in place?
    M.A.Spirito

Quote Originally Posted by NeunElf View Post
    I just checked my old seatbelts and I think this might have been original to my car:

Name:  2016-03-08 09.01.28.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  148.1 KB

I think the threaded portion is 7/16" and 20 threads per inch. Note that my car had US-made belts when I got it back in 1997 but it was picked up in Wiesbaden.

Also, the seat belt mounting changed late in the 1967 model year--the original style was used up to coupe # 308090.
    Thanks Jim, this is what I thought std 67 bolts looked like.

Hi Mark, I am not 100% sure when but from memory the style of the shoulder clamp change in the 67 production year to a full steel unit. Prob due to strength of the early style. Here is an original one from an early 67 car

So when we had a little spare time a few weeks back we made some. If these help drop me a line

HTH

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan.uk View Post
    Hi Mark, I am not 100% sure when but from memory the style of the shoulder clamp change in the 67 production year to a full steel unit. Prob due to strength of the early style. Here is an original one from an early 67 car

So when we had a little spare time a few weeks back we made some. If these help drop me a line

HTH

Alan
    Those are from a 68 car, not a 67. They have a 7/16 SAE thread. 67s used a 8mm metric thread. See earlier posts.

Regards

Jim

So if I understand correctly that aluminum colored knob looks like it inserts into the captive circular piece that's welded to the inside of the car, and the bolt holds it in place?

Correct

Regards

Jim