Thread: Weber 40 IDS, what to do?

Weber 40 IDS, what to do?

I have a set of Weber 40 IDS, which came as part of a lot I bought a while ago. Since I am into the 1965's only, I want to sell these. I do not know whether to sell them as such or have them restored first.

The bodies are quite nice, but obviously some screws and parts are missing. They are not oxidised, the valves and axles are straight and look good, but they do not move. Anybody any idea what the cost of a resto might be?
    Also, I cannot find any reference on ebay. I see 46 type offered and IDA, but no IDS40. What would be the price for a restored set?
    Txs, Jacques

Name:  IMG_2994.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  119.9 KBName:  IMG_2993.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  110.0 KBName:  IMG_2995.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  75.2 KB
    member 2971 Jacques
    911 March 1965
    912 April 1965
    911 May 1965
    964 RS clone (one of many)
    964 Targa original Dutch police car (one of 45)
    964 Turbo 3.6 (one of 1450)
    993 S Vesuvio (one of 250)

These were only offered on the 67 & 68s so pretty desirable. I'm not sure getting them refurbished would be beneficial on the sale price. IMHO
    I have no idea of value.
    Registry #1777

Here's a set of 46 IDAs for sale a week ago at the L.A. Lit Show for US $6.500.00…………perhaps this information could help you extrapolate that into a sensible asking / selling price for your IDSs.

As far as getting a quote and advice re the logic / value of a full cosmetic and functional restoration, call Paul Abbot at PERFORMANCE ORIENTED in Chico, CA.

I know that these are not IDS carbs, and they're 46mm not 40s ( as yours are ), but it is a data point, and might help you arrive at a reasonable value.

JZG
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

IMO

46 and 40's are two different animals. If you do not intend to use them, then spending money to restore but sell is probably bad economics. However, most would not use them without some rebuild/restoration and that could be between $1,500 to $3,500 including the manifolds. Seems to me, I have seen more 40 IDS carbs to be offered on this site then 46's.

If you want to sell quickly, maybe $3,500+, if not then more.

My thinking is there are a lot more parts, then cars at this point but I'm usually buying rather than selling. And you really don't need IDS carbs to put on an "S" build engine performance wise.

Your carbs look very nice. GLWS!
    MBR #2637
    AKA boschdog
    1968 911 Normal Coupe
    Houston, Texas

Txs all for yr views! Much appreciated.
    member 2971 Jacques
    911 March 1965
    912 April 1965
    911 May 1965
    964 RS clone (one of many)
    964 Targa original Dutch police car (one of 45)
    964 Turbo 3.6 (one of 1450)
    993 S Vesuvio (one of 250)

I would leave them as they are and ask for 4k.
    Timo

"There's no point living if you can't feel alive"
    - a few 911s & some others
    Early 911S Registry #3206