Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In search of a quieter 2-in 1-out muffler...

In search of a quieter 2-in 1-out muffler...

My targa has SSI's and a stock Dansk 2-in, 1-out muffler. It's louder than I'd like, especially since the car rarely gets driven without the top off. And the tone (raspy and metallic) leaves much to be desired IMHO compared to a Leistritz (deeper and more mellow). I've searched here and elsewhere but haven't found anything on this. Anyone know if there's a way to make a Dansk sound like a Leistritz?
    1970 911T Targa

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    My targa has SSI's and a stock Dansk 2-in, 1-out muffler. It's louder than I'd like, especially since the car rarely gets driven without the top off. And the tone (raspy and metallic) leaves much to be desired IMHO compared to a Leistritz (deeper and more mellow). I've searched here and elsewhere but haven't found anything on this. Anyone know if there's a way to make a Dansk sound like a Leistritz?
    Sure, just don't start the engine.
    Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Ciao

Jim

Churchill , I agree , Dansk = raspy and metallic , but some people seem to like it . The mufflers sold by Porsche are expensive but quitter , much more Leistritz like , I bought one for my car .

what would happen if you tack welded some more plating onto the Dansk?

if the resonance is from the outer body of the muffler, you'd solve your problem at the expense of a wt. penalty (in about the worst possible place)

or try various mufflers and sell the ones you don't like

M&K or whoever makes that design now has some sound files on youtube if you want to try alisten before buying those

Quote Originally Posted by Richy View Post
    Churchill , I agree , Dansk = raspy and metallic , but some people seem to like it . The mufflers sold by Porsche are expensive but quitter , much more Leistritz like , I bought one for my car .
    Richy: Can you elaborate more on the muffler you bought from Porsche. Is there a manufacturer name on it? What was the finish? For what year car? Any pics? Thx
    -Doug
    2022 Carrera 4S Oslo Blue
    1977 Martini Edition 924
    1989 Lancia Delta Integrale 16V

Quote Originally Posted by 37yrold911 View Post
    what would happen if you tack welded some more plating onto the Dansk?

if the resonance is from the outer body of the muffler, you'd solve your problem at the expense of a wt. penalty (in about the worst possible place)

or try various mufflers and sell the ones you don't like

M&K or whoever makes that design now has some sound files on youtube if you want to try alisten before buying those
    I suspect the sound difference is due to the internal baffle design, not the thickness of the steel can. Not hard to cut the muffler open and perform surgery -- just not sure what's involved.

M&K doesn't make a quieter muffler, but Monty does. Monty is the turnkey solution, but they're sold out of Australia and are $1K+ delivered.
    1970 911T Targa

1- I want Jim's muffler.

2- A quiet Porsche is still a loud car and a Targa gives you the entire orchestra.

3- A Cadillac or environmentally conscious Prius are "auditory" friendly options.

They were all raspy in the days of old. There is nary a piece of fiberglass or sound deadening material to be found inside = mechanical baffles.

PS: I want Jim's mufffler
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    I suspect the sound difference is due to the internal baffle design, not the thickness of the steel can. Not hard to cut the muffler open and perform surgery -- just not sure what's involved.

M&K doesn't make a quieter muffler, but Monty does. Monty is the turnkey solution, but they're sold out of Australia and are $1K+ delivered.
    rather than suspect, I'd measure - there are simple, cheap vibrometer apps for smart phones...

Decibel reduction is a labor intensive exercise when suitable alternatives are not out there. Ex; a 928 grew very loud with age and the stock muffler. I knew it was going to be exhaustive to find something to replace it. A nice solution turned out that..

A ( 26") straight type...zig zag inner stainless tube, w/ 6" round diameter shell - performs better than the stock muffler did for sound. Honda Accord will beat it, but the bend promotes good sound absorption if the outer shell is at 6". The problem in your app is needing 2 into 1 ..but the overall width is a plus. I know you're looking for the part and to be done with it. The nice thing with stainless is a Mig will convert over and fitment issues for a bracket are feasible.

In practice...this can work quite well.

Name:  z shape.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  11.2 KB

Thanks all for your thoughts. I was hoping someone had done this before (quieted down a Dansk) but looks like not -- so I may just pony up for a Monty. Seems like a nice mellow sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvU0CiWLqNs
    1970 911T Targa