Thread: Early 911 Paint color for exhaust and fuel tank

Banned

Early 911 Paint color for exhaust and fuel tank

Restoring a 1965 911 serial 302728 and wonder if anyone can shed light on the correct color to paint the Fuel tank and the Exhaust manifold and muffler?
    Have seen pics showing versions of black and grey for both, its seems from my investigation that around the time this car was built they changed fuel tank paint to a more textured paint, any clues on what this paint was and when it started ? Also have seen black manifolds but seems that a plain grey was also used.
    If the experts can throw and light on this it would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Couple of original exhausts for reference, the first is a NOS 7/67, the second one a NOS 6/70 (stainless with some shelf wear); I have tried to find out more about the early exhaust because all the period photos I have seen appear to be light grey like the second exhaust shown. I am afraid I don't know what the best current paints are but sure someone will be able to advise.
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Tim

Early 911S Registry #1167

Banned
    Thanks mate, yes it seem to be a lighter grey and seems like just a primer and wanted to know type and color to paint it. The existing color from all I have found seems very similar if nit the same a the 65 fuel tank color and if someone could verify what the actual fuel tank type and color is the that would be great.
    Cheers

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Here's a picture of my tank (Chassis # 301382).

Name:  IMG_4831.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  75.6 KB

There have been a number of posts on these forums about the best paint to match the color.

The parts catalog says the most elusive of all SWB parts, 901.556.101.20 "desk pad for emergency wheel" aka, "the Sombrero" was used at least through 1967 so 302728 should probably have one, too, along with smooth, not textured grey paint.

"The Sombrero" is that black goo thing that goes under the spare tire. No one's even certain what it's made of.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Banned
    Thanks Jim I think your correct, great photo which is very helpful.

Banned
    Noted that in the "bible" 911&912 Porsche A Restoration Guide to Authenticity by Dr B Johnson it states "the standard capacity of the fuel tank was 62 litres or approx. 16.4 gallons. They were painted grey. In mid 1965 the finish was changed to a textured coating, also grey in color. A larger, black painted 100 litre tank was optional starting in October 1966 (1967 model year)" Hope this helps.
    Does anyone know the grey textured paint type or its best modern equivalent

Thanks David J

Grey textured stuff is Wurth SKS. It used to be available in Grey, Beige, and Black. Now only black. Most all gas tanks were coated in this stuff. You can paint the SKS with grey spray paint or go the extra mile and mix a color that matches. I find that SWB tanks are a darker grey and LWB have a lighter grey - the argument on this can be endless. I am pretty sure the Sombrero was no longer around late 65 but would love to hear more as I have a Jan 66 in the works.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Banned
    Thanks Mark I think you have finally brought my question to the correct conclusion, her in Aussie we have Wurth Stone Chip and Corrosion Protector (Part 0890 030)which replaced SKS and think we will mix a darker grey top coat over it as per your pic. Thanks again