Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kirk Engines Valve Lash Tool or Traditional Feeler Gauge For First Timer?

Kirk Engines Valve Lash Tool or Traditional Feeler Gauge For First Timer?

I'm getting ready to adjust my valves for the first time. I was on Pelican to buy the feeler gauge tool when I noticed the much more expensive Kirk Engines valve lash tool. Anyone using it? I'm thinking I'll go the traditional route (worked for decades, right?). But figured I'd get some opinions.
    '66 912 with a 2.2
    '62 Lotus Seven S2
    '66 Lotus Elan
    '63 Karmann Ghia convertible
    '76 Alfa Spider

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    I've always found setting valve clearance with the usual Porsche feeler gauge to be fairly easy.

Name:  911_valve_adjust_pic4.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  26.2 KB

At least in the early 911s access to the valve adjustment's fairly unrestricted; maybe the "Kirk" tool is more valuable with later cars with more things in the engine bays.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Thanks. Will go with the feeler gauge.
    '66 912 with a 2.2
    '62 Lotus Seven S2
    '66 Lotus Elan
    '63 Karmann Ghia convertible
    '76 Alfa Spider

The feeler gauge method works fine,,,,,,but it depends on "feel" which the mechanic has to have a 'feel' for. Most people adjust valve clearance too loose, there needs to be an amount of drag when walking the gauge thru. When you think it is too tight it's probably about right.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed, my left arm is "physically challenged" making it difficult to use standard L-shape feeler gauge to do some of the intakes on top. So, I've been using a longer, straight feeler gauge to access the intakes from the bottom side. Other than having to go from top to bottom, do you see any issues with checking the intakes from the bottom? Obviously, intake adjustments need to be from the top. Thanks for all your solid advice over the years....
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

Doesn't matter how the gauge gets there, as long as the 'feel ' is correct. As long as the gauge is parallel to the adjuster foot.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I have also been thinking about the Kirk tool. To me it becomes a mathematical equation with that tool rather than feel. I think I would be more comfortable that it was done right. Any comments from people who have used it.
    1968 911T R.O.W. / 68S engine.

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm01 View Post
    I have also been thinking about the Kirk tool. To me it becomes a mathematical equation with that tool rather than feel. I think I would be more comfortable that it was done right. Any comments from people who have used it.
    I haven't used it, but there's still some "feel" involved. Apparently, you have to bottom the adjuster (zero clearance) and then back off by the appropriate angular rotation to get the correct clearance. There will still be some "feel" involved in bottoming the adjuster.

Maybe there's less variation in bottoming the Kirk tool than in using a feeler gauge but it isn't 100% automatic.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

the thing to do is to set your valves with supervision - a friend or your friendly neighborhood mechanic down on the corner next to the bodega

try it a few times - or hey! do 'em all -- you'll get the feel of it

and you won't need no stinkin' badges

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    The feeler gauge method works fine,,,,,,but it depends on "feel" which the mechanic has to have a 'feel' for. Most people adjust valve clearance too loose, there needs to be an amount of drag when walking the gauge thru. When you think it is too tight it's probably about right.
    I use 2 blades as the blade tends to get scratched and out of shape about 1/2 way,