Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does one disconnect/service the cable on the front cowl vent?

How does one disconnect/service the cable on the front cowl vent?

I am trying to button up the front dash and cowl on my SWT. The vent is located under the cowl and operates by a cable that attaches to a lever under the dash.

How does one remove/service the cable and the vent flap so that the vent operates smoothly?

Thank you.

seriously, NOBODY has had experience with the cowl vent and cable?

(or should i interpret the silence to be a polite response in place of "Dear Dumbass"?)

here are a few pics that should help ya...
    Attached Images Attached Images      

FYI, the little Allen bolt (good visible on the last picture) can be a pain if your car comes from a wet climate.

Richard
    searching for engine (case) 903742

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    We found on a 68 that the cable was misaligned with the lever. We relocated the cable housing so it aligned better, and the operation was much improved.

These are the only ones I have from my '68.
    John Thompson

1966 912. My first car. Bought it Nov. 25, 1988. Still have it.

if i lived closer to Eugene, OR, i would buy you a beer, JT912. i think your photos might have solved my problem.

first, i will try to disconnect the cable and see whether it is free. the photos show that barrel-type fitting on the clevis. so far, i got the c-clip off, but couldn't get any further.)

i did not realize that the allen-head bolts (which came loose for me) pulled OUT of the shaft mechanism. i will try that second and see whether the shaft is free to rotate.

thanks John.

thank you, moito and JT912. i can now understand why the assembly did not come down. i'll disconnect the cable and drop the shaft assembly and make everything free.

this was VERY helpful. thank you.

John,

Just asking.... would have the wire lined up "somewhat better" if the cable tube was mounted to the bottom of the mount bolt (Or does the clamp seat only as mounted?)
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    +1 for bobs 67S. We had to move the cable tube down like shown in his pix, but a new mounting hole has to be drilled as the bracket is fixed on the end and can't be flipped. Are all SWB fresh air system that misaligned? G.Led