Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you disconnect the odometer reset cable?

How do you disconnect the odometer reset cable?

Spent the weekend working steadily on my SWT re-assembly. Made respectable progress, but several little jobs showed up, including the need to service the odometer reset cable.

The odometer reset (for trip mileage) has a thumb screw under the dash. How do you remove and service the odo-reset cable?

Thank you, again.

simply pull the cable out of the housing.
    the thump screw is secured with a headless screw..this could become a tricky one if someone messed up the slot.
    in this case i usually cut the screw (without damaging the cable)

f.

Sometimes extreme measures are necessary:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by 68911+1 View Post
    Sometimes extreme measures are necessary:
    considering:........Spent the weekend working steadily on my SWT re-assembly....does not sound like he wants to take this collateral damage

Quote Originally Posted by moito View Post
    considering:........Spent the weekend working steadily on my SWT re-assembly....does not sound like he wants to take this collateral damage
    Yea, it was meant with a little humor, hence the "extreme measure". I get, most don't want to take a torch to the interior of their car and that is why I posted the photo. Just for fun, as in how many photos have you seen of someone torching their interior?

Although, some of the questions I have seen asked on various Porsche forums in the last couple of years, nothing would surprise me.

Sorry.

this is turning out to be a beast.

we got the odo-reset cable to turn, but before I try to remove it, I want to be sure that there is a replacement ... somewhere.

does anyone have a source for a replacement odo-reset cable?

Am I missing something? You just need a "jewelers" slotted screwdriver.

If it's rusted, like most are if only from being in the same spot for many many years,
    you'll need more than the screwdriver.
    I ended up cutting the cable.
    Palo Alto Speedometer returned my perfect gauges with a new cable and thumb-screw after their re-build.
    I sent them the old core parts.

Email sent Mike.
    Whit
    ridgerestorations@gmail.com
    66' 911 Coupe (Kinda Gone)
    70' 911T Targa (Across the Pond now)
    68' 912 Targa HW(gone but not forgotton)
    67' 912 Coupe (Under construction)

i know that many of you have heard me say it many times, but this forum is an incredible value, especially in the exchange of information. i really appreciate the sharing of wisdom.

"carmelskip's" question is completely valid, and in fact, it was my basic assumption that removal of the set screw would make everything come apart, allowing me to solve the problem. let me just say that a jeweler's screwdriver was not up to the task, as "68911+1" humorously showed.

"ptrabtrs" has offered an interesting alternative. Palo Alto did my gauges, and i will inquire with them as to sources. Whit has also offered some help.

sometimes, there is a magic answer ... a tidbit or trick from someone. sometimes, age, rust and other neglect rule the situation. but having a resource such as the collective wisdom of several thousand enthusiasts is immeasurably helpful.