Thread: Trim color query for 65 911 (901)

Banned

Trim color query for 65 911 (901)

Restoring a 65 911 s/n 302728 and in a dilemma about the correct leatherette color. The documentation supplied by Porsche with the car says trim was Beige/Pepita and in investigating the trim found out that there were 3 beige colors (Light, Old and Sand) The cloth trim Pepita had only one pattern so simple choice. The car was an early factory R/H drive car and delivered to an Australian Dealer so assume that is was a "standard" Beige.
    Can anyone throw any light on what beige the the factory would do as standard or any assistance on trim color would be appreciated. The car had its seats redone years ago by previous owner and where black vinyl, but there was a few small trim bits on rear inside panel that appeared to be light beige color, but know that some cars had different small trim color than the seats.
    Wish to proceed with a decision on the trim as soon as possible so any help would be great.
    See pic

Name:  Trim 65 porsche.JPG
Views: 206
Size:  99.6 KB

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Unfortunately, period color photos all seem to show black interiors.

Charlie White's 911-912 Porsche Sales Brochures 1963 to 1973! website has a scan of some 1966 color samples about 1/3 of tte way down (search for "911-912 Porsche Color & Interior Sample Book, 1966!").

If the color balance on my monitor for your photo and Charlie's scan is PERFECT, then your "Beige Sand" is an excellent match.

Not too long ago, a 1966 911 with a beige interior auctioned at Bring-a-Trailer http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-porsche-911/ and there were lots of pictures. It may well have the original beige leatherette and it looks lighter than your "Beige Sand" and less yellow than your "Light Beige."

I got this photo of the interior when the car parked near the European Collectibles open house:

Name:  IMG_4733.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  96.3 KB

And this photo at the Phoenix Club:

Name:  IMG_4798.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  109.5 KB

I can't help mentioning that the CofA posted at Bring-a-Trailer says the Exterior Color/Paint Code is Beige Leatherette/D and the original Interior Material Color/Type is Gulf Blue/6603.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Hi and welcome - I know this car as I inspected it in Adelaide a little while back...

It has Polo Red duco which may be a determinant of the beige used in the interior - although Porsche being Porsche you could order pretty much whatever you wanted if you paid for it - so I'd be searching for any original fabric in the seats or the trim items you have in the hopes you might find a colour swatch to match.

I dont think I've ever seen (from memory) the very light beige in a Polo Red car but that doesnt mean it wouldn't have been done....

Cheers Stewart.
    '65 901 SA '119' - 1st RHD Customer Delivered 911 Worldwide; 5710 Stone Grey/Green Leatherette 3 owners from new.

'75 (Nov) 924 Group 4 Rallye. 9th o/all, 1st in class ‘79 Repco Round Australia Rally Barth/Kussmaul; 1st RHD chassis, 1st front engined Porsche to win an FIA event

‘78 928 Manual - early RHD Opalmetallic (gold) + Pasha

'98 986

‘99 996 GT3 CS M003 ex Peter Fitzgerald. Falken livery. 2nd 2000, 3rd in 2001 Aus Nations Cup Championsip. Last of the road registered racers

Banned
    Thanks to Jim for the great pics and info
    And Stewart for his information and we only have little bits of what may be original trim ad it appears to be light beige!!