Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously?

Bitcoin, Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    . . . asking price is almost as much as the current value of my entire car . . .
    Ditto . . .

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    . . . As of Friday, 13-Feb, 2009 . . . . asking price wasn’t cheap --- $58.5k --- but . . .

. . . . did some back-and-forth, then we settled on a price . . . . bought the car . . . . without seeing it or driving it
    . . .

Then/again --- Amazon stock was ~$90/share(?) when I bought this car in '09 . . .

. . . vs >$3200, now ------------------------------------------------------- = >$2 million today, Babies

!

Now --- check-out bitcoin . . . sitting down, preferably

Short Version --- Porsches are really-REALLY lousy places to put money

As for their engines? . . .

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    Short Version --- Porsches are really-REALLY lousy places to put money
    Generally, but not always. I paid $15k for my '84 Carrera in Nov 2011. Re-did the interior at a cost of $5k, drove it 20,000 miles over the next 7 years. Sold it Jan 2019 for $42k. May have underpriced it a bit, sold for full ask in 24 hours.

But my current '72 T - different story. As some of you will remember, I bought it in Jan 2019 as a semi-running project with a fresh engine. Paid $38.5k. In its current driver-level condition, I've got a bit more in it than the above mentioned engines. I'm guessing the resale now at somewhere around $65k. So not much upside there, not yet. Ask me again in 5 years...
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

23-window Volkswagen Microbus . . .

'. . . Up For Offers is my Jan.13,1953 All Original Deluxe Microbus, some call it a 23 window , Others say a Samba .

The Bus is Mostly Original Paint and All Original Interior

It IS Very Original ... I bought the bus back in 1996-1997 .. I exported it out of the Toronto area of Canada and had the Bus shipped back to Orange County where it would sit at Charlie Hamill's for Many years ..

After many years of Sitting in Charlie Hamills Bamboo .. I shipped the car to Mark Lapriore to start what would be a 6+ Year Full Preservation.
    We Left everything as Original as Possible ,by the time the 6th Year came around I was $165k + in to the Preservation of paying Mark week after week... Month after Month.

The Bus was basically done when I shipped it back to Orange County , NOW was the time to start the Mechanics .. We would start the Mechanical Preservation.

George Schmidt of The Butcher Shop would do ALL of the Mechanics. EVERYTHING was Touched on the Bus and either Rebuilt or Replaced with NEW OLD STOCK.

Steering Box Out and rebuilt , Front Beam Out and Rebuilt , Original FULL Crash Transmission Out and Rebuilt , Complete Brake System, Out and NOS Replaced all 4 Drums and Wheel Cyinders, NOS ,Etc.

The Engine is Very Special... 12 Years to just find the Empty January '53 Case out of NY, and from There everything on the Engine would be NOS or NEW .

So Much Attention to Authenticity and Originality went into the Engine.

Many NOS Parts used.. Fan Shroud,Engine Tin,Single Tip Early Logo'd Exhaust, Crank Start Tin, Carb. ,Intake, The very Rare Strapless Wingnut Air Cleaner,
    I am sure I am forgetting something.

Entire Engine Compartment is Original Paint with exception of Rear Apron on the Bus, which was NOS.

The Gas Tank, Tire Tray are Original Paint, and Both the very rare Zwitter style 60mm.

The real Beauty of the Bus that most people don't understand is The Amount of Original Parts to the Bus that are still on the Bus.
    Headlights, Taillights, Semaphores, All Glass, etc.

Ever Seen a January 1953 Samba that has Original Seat Upholstery and Original Headliner ?

Last Owner bought the bus in June of '83 ... and Last Registered Year in CANADA is 1960, I bought the Bus in '96/'97 ... so in last 40+ years only 2 Owners.

Dealer Sticker on Inside of Driver Headlight Bucket and Under Rear License Plate on Rear Decklid.

SOLD New at " Central Motors " Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
    " Take it HOME for guaranteed service "

Yes, If you are Looking for a Shiny Paint bus .. This one is Not for you.

This bus is for the Discriminating buyer who Wants Only The Very Best Money Can Buy and for the Discriminating Owner who wants Only Original.

This Bus is 1 of a Couple Busses Worldwide that are this Original ... I can tell you all about it if you are Interested .

YES it is Expensive , and most People already know what I wanted ... But I have Lowered the Price drastically .. and I will Take a Old Porsche in trade or a Old BUS of any kind. I would take multiple cars in Trade + Cash if The Deal feels right to me ...
    The Option is there for you to Offer to me what you are Thinking ..

If you think a bus like this is Under $300k PLEASE keep Looking , this one is NOT for you
    . . .'

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifi...php?id=2480085

Ask = $359k

Attached Images Attached Images           

We Can Be Heroes

Don't think that will be an easy sale...

I saw it at Canepa's back before they stopped having the summer C&Cs. Was for sale then in $400 ks.

The originality of it is off the charts in person.... I wanted to jump in to see if it's transport me back in time...
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Looks amazing, and it may seem absurd but trucks like that one are unicorns. When we were hunting for a replacement bus 30 years ago, I almost pulled the trigger on a '53 in New Mexico. There were never many that old in the USA. Seller was/is well known in the vintage VW community, offered the bus restored for $18,000. I danced around that deal for a good 10 days before deciding against, not because of the price but because using a 25hp barndoor as a daily just didn't seem like a good idea. Not long afterwards I saw Kevin Jeanette's 21 Deluxe, exactly like ours, but a true time capsule: just 12,000 miles on the clock. I remember asking him how he managed to not sell, he said his price was $50K, which seemed "seriously?!?" at the time. Eventually, someone paid it. Today that bus would easily bring 5 times that amount or more.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Don't forget the really early one that they had to bring in the copter to get it out of the swamp!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbod1_4ELMo

---Adam
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullethead View Post
    . . . may seem absurd but trucks like that one are unicorns . . . . saw Kevin Jeanette's 21 Deluxe, exactly like ours, but a true time capsule: just 12,000 miles on the clock. I remember asking him how he managed to not sell, he said his price was $50K, which seemed "seriously?!?" at the time . . . Today that bus would easily bring 5 times that amount or more . . .
    They already have. I know you 'member this one, Russ . . .

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...l=1#post519509
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...l=1#post519526

Old Volkswagens --- especially Type IIs . . . are so fragile, so easily damaged --- and were so used, then tossed-away for decades before anyone knew or cared about them. And every time I see one like this, I'm always struck by their sheer remarkability --- that something like this has survived --- in any form . . . much-less intact, like this one

It's not 'original' in the strictest sense. But it was put back together/loved-on by someone who knew enough about what to do --- where to get what it needed . . . to put this back on the road

Unicorn, indeed

We Can Be Heroes

I do, Rick... ten years ago I was getting used to the idea of six-figure buses. Now it's a surprise when a good one doesn't crack $150,000. Still gonna drive ours regularly when it's done, most smiles per mile.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Name:  646E949E-BEC5-47BC-8D34-FA325D70B4B7.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  88.5 KBThis one in my parking garage in Berlin yesterday…
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616