Thread: FS: 1970 Porsche 911T targa - tangerine, recently restored

FS: 1970 Porsche 911T targa - tangerine, recently restored

1970 Porsche 911T targa for sale - $70,000 - SOLD, 5 APRIL 2016

This numbers-matching car (I have COA) has recently undergone a thorough restoration, back to its original tangerine (blutorange). The car runs and drives extremely well, and has been enjoyed in its current condition for about 4 years. Original mileage unknown (odometer reads 57984, must almost certainly be a ‘1’ in front of that), but I have put about 4000 miles on the car since the restoration. Originally Euro delivery (gauges in metric and German). Original ownership unknown.

I have owned the car since 2008, and did most of the restoration work by 2012. Since then I have continued working on small jobs here and there. However, priorities have changed due to new job and new baby, and a few things have not been completed (detailed below). Nonetheless, this is a solid, fun, and reliable car, with all the mechanicals in new or like-new condition.

Most of the restoration is chronicled in a couple of threads on the Pelican Parts forum, as well as on a blog I maintained during the restoration:

1. Overall restoration, from the ugly beginning: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...1970-911t.html
    2. Engine rebuild: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-e...e-rebuild.html
    3. Transmission rebuild: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...rb-issues.html
    4. Non-technical blog: Mike and Katie's 911 restoration project
    5. The car was featured in the ‘ESSES’ magazine (2013, Vol 23(1): 16-19.) [pdf available]

More photos, including recent ones, and a video of the engine running, here (dated with year taken – they date from the beginning of the restoration to the present) here: https://goo.gl/photos/HhnujdvPj4z7U1Gj6

What was done during restoration:
    Engine:
    • Completely rebuilt to 2.4E specs on original 2.2L case. The machine work was done by Walt Watson of Competition Engineering.
    • Case split and align-bored to standard, mating faces resurfaced; oil bypass modification added; piston squirters added; all pressure relief valves (pistons and springs) replaced; case savers and new studs OEM studs; oil galleys flushed and replugged; oil pump cleaned and tested.
    • Heads rebuilt with new valves & guides; resurfaced.
    • Crank and rods upgraded to 70.4mm stroke (standard for 2.4L); cleaned and polished; rods balanced and rebushed
    • Intermediate and timing gears replaced
    • Oil cooler cleaned and pressure tested by Pacific Oil Cooler.
    • Cylinders bored to 85mm. Pistons replaced with new, JE 9.5:1.
    • Cams replaced with new E-spec, ground by John Dougherty (Dougherty Racing Cams); rockers reground or (many) replaced with new.
    • Timing chains, all ramps, bearings, and internal and external hardware replaced with new; chain tensioners of the ‘930’ type, freshly rebuilt with new o-rings; lower valve covers upgraded to reinforced ‘turbo’ type.
    • Engine has standard heat exchangers, Zenith carburetors (correct for 1970, though these are not its originals), & MSD ignition; Marelli distributor was completely rebuilt, and fitted with new cap, rotor and points; S.E.V. Marchal alternator was completely rebuilt.

Transmission:
    Original 5-speed 911/01 transmission was rebuilt with new synchros, dogteeth, 1/R and 2/3 sliders; new throw-out bearing. CVs disassembled, cleaned and repacked; shifter linkage with all new coupler and bushings.

Suspension:
    Completely restored with all new Elephant Racing rubber bushings; new Bilstien shocks; rear torsion bars upgraded to 25mm; 15mm front anti-roll bar added; new turbo tie rods & new ball joints; all wheel bearings new; new BF Goodrich g-Force sport tires (205/60-15) on American Eagle wheels (not genuine Fuchs).

Brakes:
    Master cylinder and all brake lines replaced with new; all calipers rebuilt; vented rotors and pads new all around.

Body:
    Completely disassembled (glass out) and stripped to bare metal; rusted areas that were removed and replaced included complete floors, right inner and outer rockers, fender mounting panels, portions of rear longitudinals, parts of rear quarter panels beneath targa bar. The car was rather rust-damaged but is now clean and solid. PPG products were used for all primer and paint work. Paint was applied by John Biggs at Anacapa Auto Body and Paint in Santa Barbara; all window and door seals and gaskets were replaced with new (International Mercantile and Porsche OEM) rubber; new H4 headlights and front and rear Euro lenses; targa top rebuilt and recovered.

Interior:
    Nearly all surfaces recovered with German vinyl (sourced through Autobahn Interiors); dash and standard seats very nice (used); pedal cluster fully rebuilt and rebushed; door pockets deleted; carpet kit new (AppBiz); tach refurbished and converted for MSD ignition by North Hollywood Speedometer.

Not working:
    Windshield wipers – I reinstalled the original motor with fingers crossed. Non-functional.
    Ventilation fan – Also reinstalled untested. Non-functional.
    Rear window defrost
    Speedometer/Odometer – The speedometer worked briefly, but the original cable has probably failed. The odometer did not work and probably needs a plastic gear replaced inside.
    Horn – I am not sure if the horn unit itself is bad or if there is a wiring problem in the steering column.
    Clock.
    There is no radio – have blocked off the opening.

Incorrect details:
    Black decklid grille (original was aluminum).
    Fuel tank is from a 1973.5 model (more desirable because it takes a full-size spare, and contains the improved delivery internal swirl-pot.)
    Momo steering wheel
    Single Braille battery on left side.

Other imperfections:
    Front pan dented from jacking, prior to restoration.
    Few tiny road chips in hood from post-restoration driving.
    One small blemish in paint on driver’s rear quarter panel from overly hasty putty and sand job during painting.

I am selling because car doesn’t fit very well in our current lifestyle. I take it out on the road every couple weeks to warm it up and get the oil moving. Otherwise it lives covered in a warm garage full time. But it deserves more attention than that.

I am happy to answer any and all questions about the car, and can provide additional pictures as well. The car may be viewed in Clemson, SC by appointment.

Shipping car is buyer’s responsibility. I will assist within reason. Within the US I would recommend Intercity Lines (Enclosed Auto Transport - Intercity Lines), and would be glad to help coordinate with them. Shipping California to South Carolina door-to-door was about $1900.

Cash, cashier’s check, or wire transfer will be accepted for payment. Car will be released to buyer once funds are confirmed.

Contact me by Private Message or email, so that I can keep all correspondence dated and clear.

Thanks for looking,
    Mike Caterino

First six pictures here are as it stands today. The last is from a few years back in a more photogenic setting.

2016RightSide.jpg

2016LeftRear.jpg

2016EngineBay5.jpg

2016Dash.jpg

2016EngineUnderside.jpg

2016FloorpanRear.jpg

2013inSB.jpg
    Last edited by mcaterino; 04-06-2016 at 08:22 AM. Reason: car was sold
    --------------
    Mike Caterino
    1970 T targa
    Santa Barbara, CA