Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deep 6 finish advice - HELP

Deep 6 finish advice - HELP

Thanks in advance for any constructive thoughts. I have a '70 911E and just had my deep 6 Fuch's refinished and they came back nice but different than I expected. The sides of the petals are matte and the facing surface is relatively much more shiny. The inner side of the outer part of the rim is matte and the outward facing surface of the rim closest to the tire is similarly shiny. As I said not what "I" thought it should be. My sense was all exposed metal should have a matte anodized finish.

I would be grateful for those of you that know what is correct to weigh in. Thanks, George
    1970 Porsche 911E
    1957 Alfa Romeo Sprint Veloce Lightweight

Early 911 S Reg no: 3241

In my experience, unless you were looking for a polished finish, or a partial polished finish, all the exposed anodized surfaces should match, all the painted surfaces should match.

Hard without pictures - sounds like they were anodized, then had a light polish, then had paint - that would explain all the outward surfaces being to your description "shiny".

Doesn't sound right - but perhaps pictures would help.

There are big experts on the topic on this board, Harvey by way of example, that on this topic have forgotten more than most of us could learn, hopefully one will weigh in to help.
    Kevin "Hangman" Lynch
    1967 912R (project) - color pending
    1968 Bahama Yellow 912
    Follow me on Twitter @LynchGreenDot

Seems correct by your description . Classic example of being done incorrectly so often people forget what is correct .

Quote Originally Posted by Richy View Post
    Seems correct by your description . Classic example of being done incorrectly so often people forget what is correct .
    +1...........................

Quote Originally Posted by Richy View Post
    +1 They sound right to me. There should absolutely be a difference between sides of the petals and the facing surfaces. If "all your exposed surfaces match", your wheels are wrong.

So the concensus is the restored wheels are probably done right and the "new to Porsche world" owner is mistaken. I will try to get over to the shop today or tomorrow so I can get some photos to add clarity. Thanks very much for weighing in. Best, George
    1970 Porsche 911E

Lightbulb

George,

Photos will give us a lot more to work on....

For now, for your reference, here's shots of original deep 6's on a very early production '71E......... Hope it helps

Cheers and welcome,
    Chuck
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Thanks for those photos. Attached are some pics of my refinished wheels. Looking at my original 14" wheels it appears that the surfaces on the sides are indeed more matte than the facing rim edge and petals. My newly refinished wheels still seem a bit shinier though. The work is excellent though not what I was expecting. Best, George
    1970 Porsche 911E

The surfaces that were able to be reached by the buffing lathe were polished on the early production wheels. All of the sides were left as forged.
    The easy way to refinish Fuchs is to polish the wheel all over then anodize. That is why you see so many done wrong, because it is easier than reproducing the original rough as forged finish on the sides of the spokes and outers.
    Here is an original 7X15 that shows the rough as forged finish more clearly.
    Also an original 4.5. It is polished the same as yours but had the one year only small dart paint.
    I'll look for a deep 6X15 in original finish tomorrow.
    H

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Weidman View Post
    The surfaces that were able to be reached by the buffing lathe were polished on the early production wheels. All of the sides were left as forged.
    The easy way to refinish Fuchs is to polish the wheel all over then anodize. That is why you see so many done wrong, because it is easier than reproducing the original rough as forged finish on the sides of the spokes and outers.
    Here is an original 7X15 that shows the rough as forged finish more clearly.
    Also an original 4.5. It is polished the same as yours but had the one year only small dart paint.
    I'll look for a deep 6X15 in original finish tomorrow.
    H
    Your explanation clarifies a logical original process and helps with my understanding. When I get the car out of the shop I'll put the original 14" wheel side by side and post a photo just to add to the discourse. Thanks for taking the time to write. This is a whole new realm for me and it is fun being a student. GJ
    1970 Porsche 911E