Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Police: Pot smoking may have caused accident in Scripps Ranch

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar

Police: Pot smoking may have caused accident in Scripps Ranch

Sadly, there was another vintage Porsche crash this past weekend near San Diego:

Police: Pot smoking may have caused accident in Scripps Ranch

Name:  10199359_G.jpg
Views: 1663
Size:  39.5 KB

A woman who may have been smoking marijuana while driving jumped a curb and rammed her Toyota Corolla into a Porsche 356A Speedster critically injuring its occupants on Sunday, 27 March 2016. The Toyota driver has been arrested. Read more at http://www.cbs8.com/story/31578913/p...-scripps-ranch

That particular Speedster was profiled at http://petrolicious.com/1956-porsche-356-speedster and http://petrolicious.com/former-porsc...an-diego-hills.

Update:

911 Media Group, a freelance/stringer company based in San Diego California, posted a longer video: bad news in an update: http://www.911mediagroup.com/#!2-Lif...f2e3ce9bb2a482 and an update saying “The DUI suspect has 3 prior DUI convictions, the 2 passengers in the Porsche are still on Life support, and considered to be Brain Dead.” The statement that both occupants of the Porsche were Brain Dead seems to have been incorrect, at least regarding the driver.

In 911 Media Group’s video interview, emergency responders were unable to confirm that one of the occupants of the Speedster had died.

Some Better and Worse News

Apparently, the Speedster’s owner is also a Ferrari guy. From Ferrari Chat Bullfighter in Hospital - Hit head-on by DUI

29 March 2016: I think that Jon may be doing better. His brother posted to friends on Facebook that Jon is ok with using his right side easily but struggling with his left side - the side of the impact. He also said that his friend, Amanda, is “getting off life support.” Unfortunately, I don’t know if that is the good kind of getting off or bad, but I will guess the good kind. His brother asked to keep them both in your prayers.

29 March 2016: Latest News from Jon’s brother that he is in Sharp Memorial Hospital. So maybe the local crew with Eric’s help can bring some big red flowers and a card over and take up a collection. I’m sure it will brighten his spirits knowing we are in his corner. Maybe Eric can list a PayPal email or PM it to us to send some cash to cover the costs.

30 March 2016: Latest news from Jon's brother: He is in and out of consciousness and will be in the ICU for another week. He may not understand the severity of what has happened. Then he will be moved to a general room for a month of care and then rehab for strength, mobility etc.

31 March 2016: “I've joined this forum just to be able to make a connection on this thread. I am a colleague of Amanda's at Fullerton College and have been following this thread to see how Jon is doing. I can confirm that Amanda did not survive her injuries.”

31 March 2016: “The DA had special investigators at the accident scene and is laying the groundwork for murder charges. The Toyota Corolla involved in the accident is registered to a Ms Mi Kim. It has not been fully verified if she was behind the wheel or if someone else was driving so hopefully we can all let the judicial process work as it is supposed to.”
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Banned
    Oh my gosh.

So sad. Praying for Jon, his family, and Amanda's family.

Safety equipment (or lack of) is the part of this hobby that we often forget about.

Very sad news about, Amanda...

Here's a partial photo of the car the morning before at a C&C.

John

Name:  IMG_6544.jpg
Views: 1399
Size:  191.2 KB
    1959 356 Coupe, 1600 Super, sold
    1960 356 Roaster, race car, SCCA, sold
    1960 356 Roadster, show car, sold.
    1962 356 Cab, show car, sold.
    1965 911 #301111, Red Book Vol 1 "Cover Car," owned 54 years.
    1967 911 #307347, bare-bones, some road wear, a little surface rust, and a few dents..., owned 14 years.
    1970 914/6GT, (Sold - ran the last three Rennsports)owned 30 years.

Photography Site: JohnStraubImageWorks.com

Registry #983
    R Gruppe #741

My heartfelt sympathy to Amanda's loved ones and to Jon and his loved ones.

DUI-Marijuana is a scourge here in California. We just had yet another multiple-fatal crossover on Highway 1 -- a 19-year old girl high on Vicodin (hydrocodone) and marijuana hit an oncoming car head-on near Castroville. She's being held on 3 million dollars bail and will hopefully rot in prison, but it doesn't bring back the by all appearances solid-citizen who she killed. I hope that if the Lexus that she was driving is registered to one of the little dope-fiends parents, that they are sued for everything that they're worth.

http://www.ksbw.com/news/mug-shot-re...river/38771530

-- David

Oh my God...... Tragic....... payers for them and theirs
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Quote Originally Posted by rower View Post
    I read that thread about George;I really hope he is doing well.

Very tragic and scary. I really hope he has fully recovered.

Is there suggestions on how to make our cars safer within the constraints of vintage?
    Putting in a shoulder harness in a coupe?
    What about 356 roadsters?
    roll bar on any conv.

NEW seat belts - unless you trust 40 year old nylon - general aviation std. is repl. after 10 years IIRC

1973 has safety beam in the door

replace tires after 6 years and use good ones, not some repro of an old pattern (maybe)

replace rubber brake hoses with new rubber every 15 years - use stock dealer parts so they will be TUV approved

use decent seats with headrests (I have Recaro SEs) and be sure the right bolts are used there and on seat belts, with correct torque

check for rust in safety areas

check suspension

Just awful news...
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Really horrible to see another early car accident with traumatic head injuries caused by lap belts. Being period correct with lap belts that what would have passed scrutineering when raced in the 50s and 60s is not appropriate for street, or track driven cars these days. Both this, and George Gates accident would probably have resulted in much happier outcomes if only the occupants had been wearing shoulder harnesses. Please, change out your lap belts if you actually drive your car. Hopefully this thread will never be resurrected with another tragic accident.
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Banned
    gofundme account set up for Amanda Walzer's 2 boys:

https://www.gofundme.com/hgx33e7s

Jon Warshawsky's account:

https://www.gofundme.com/rfx3nbdw

Beyond tragic. All because someone did not honor and respect human life.

Mark Curtin
    Early S Registry #369
    Rgruppe #247