Thread: Does "Tinted Windshield" mean "tinted" glass all arond?

Does "Tinted Windshield" mean "tinted" glass all arond?

I've been doing research in every printed document I can find, and I wanted to ask the community to opine...

The COA for my SWT says "tinted windshield." According to the research, if the car was to have tinted glass all around, the COA would say "catacolor." Mine does not contain that term.

As a matter of logic, it would seem that a "tinted windshield" would logically be accompanied by tinted side glass, but the research apparently indicates that it was relatively common, especially for a targa, to have clear side glass.

Does anyone have anything that might be more definitive than simple examples that might be 'exceptions,' rather than the rule?

Thanks, as always, for sharing your intellectual capital.

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    It's always possible someone made a mistake on your CofA but (at least in the 1966 model year which shouldn't be too different from a Soft Window Targa) Porsche offered several choices in tinted widows:

Name:  Brochure1.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  84.7 KB

9481 Catacolor Rundumverglasung 145 DM $36.25
    "Catacolor" tinted glass all around
    Vitrage panoramique «Catacolor»
    Catacolor su tutti i cristalli
    9482 Catacolor Windschutzscheibe 70 DM $17.50
    901.541.101.30 "Catacolor" tinted windshield
    Pare-brise «Catacolor»
    «Catacolor» parabrezza
    9483 Catacolor Heckscheibe 32 DM $8.00
    901.545.101.30 "Catacolor" tinted rear window
    Lunette arriere «Catacolor»
    «Catacolor» lunotto

It's quite possible the only tinted glass ordered for your Targa was the windshield. But, the term "Catacolor" was used for all three choices.
    Last edited by NeunElf; 04-06-2016 at 01:01 PM.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Mine says Catacolor Rundumverglasung It has original tinted glass all around. There is always a possibility of mistranslation but Windschutzscheibe is a fairly easy translation.

My 2 cents

Cheers

+1 on what jim posted. Windshield only.

Rundumverglasung is all.

AND there aren't that many more windows on a SWT

~J~
    air cooled only

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    There's nothing wrong with logic, but you have to use 1960s logic.

• In 1967, Porsche only built 7399 cars and they farmed out 2084 912s coupés to Karmann to be able to accomplish that
    • In 1961, a HEATER was optional on most Cadillacs
    • Air conditioning was rare, even in luxury cars

Things were different.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

I know that I have said it before, but the members of this Registry provide IMMENSE value to everyone in the community. Thank you, everyone, for filling in some information gaps for me.

This represents another example of the exchange of information that helps enthusiasts to perform a good quality restoration. As I said originally, my car was delivered largely as a basket case. I didn't open the package containing windows until we had installed the lift mechanisms. What we found in the glass package was clear glass, and I made the assumption (based on flawed logic) that 'tinted windshield' meant tinted glass all around. Nuenelf, trdking and Jules Dielen provided confirmation of the spotty research I had done, and it helps me to complete my project.

The membership fee in this Registry generates several levels of value. I cannot thank you all enough.

Hope to see you in Hershey on April 16.

Nuenelf went the extra mile and quickly provided Porsche proof. Wow Mine was just affirmation e.g. chowder
    But I have to say, congratulations on opening the glass bundle and finding it correct! Always a thumbs up situation

A follow-up...

In the course of a restoration I always end up accumulating tons of information that get stored in lots of places. Sometimes, it is difficult to link all of the pieces of information on a particular topic and to bring them back into focus.

Of course, I always consult my COA, as I mentioned when this thread was initiated. What I didn't remember at the time was the Cardex, largely because I don't understand German. But last night I remembered that I had a copy of the Cardex, and I just opened the file. Sure enough, just as NuenElf had indicated, the Cardex lists "Catacolor Windschutzscheibe."

It always makes thing more fun when a question is answered with good documentation. Thanks, again, to all.