Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to start with installing new harness to bare shell

Where to start with installing new harness to bare shell

Hi looking for pictures and advice on where to start with installation of loom on bare shell. Sounds like tunnel is the way to go, pulling from front to rear.. Appreciate pictures and advice please.

Rich , Swb 1968 resto
    Rich
    68 911S
    mbr. 2393

I just did this. Is the harness new or rebuilt?

I pulled the tunnel harness from the rear to the front. Then connected the under dash harness to that one.

Same thing with the stater cable....rear to front.
    '67 911S
    '69 911S
    '70 911ST
    '73 911T Targa Signal Yellow
    '78 911SC backdate EFI 3.4 turbo
    '11 Spyder
    Early S#1097, R-gruppe #

Start from the middle at the end of the tunnel at the torsion tube.

They are installed from there to the front, then up over the tube to the rear of the car.

The are removed in the reverse of how they were installed - disconnect at the front and back and pull toward center of car.

And because it always needs to be said: NO OEM HARNESS SHOULD EVER HAVE TO BE CUT IN ANY WAY TO REMOVE OR INSTALL!!!
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Harness is a new harness from Kroon, had left old harness in the car as metal work was done, it looked 'okay' but had been worked around twisted and tucked to side so much I felt it would've safer to go new.

Probably would have been fine but I don't want to take any chances, having taken a few years to get to this point.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  136.9 KB

In fact you can see old loom in the bag here when I got car back from spray shop.

Rich
    Rich
    68 911S
    mbr. 2393

Are the turnsignal and wiper controls 68 only or the same for all SWB models?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  88.0 KB

On re wire I am being ask to source replacements, has anyone seen these anywhere? Or restored their original switches

Thanks rich
    Rich
    68 911S
    mbr. 2393

Rich, those are 64-67 switches, the 68s have a black stalk. They are of course NLA, but it's possible to remove the handles by grinding off the rivet heads, remove the paddles by gently heating with a heat gun, rechrome the handles, bore the black plastic paddle to accomodate the now-enlarged diameter of the handle caused by the plating, and reassemble. While not particularly mechanically complex (compared to, for example, an engine rebuild) it's a time-consuming job that rewards patience.

The new paddles are of a rubber material and not like the originals, so save your money.

AND make careful note of what wires go where. . .it's much easier to reassemble that way. . . if you anticipate taking, I don't know, eight or nine years to restore then photos and a wiring diagram from your own notes are essential.

Looks like some replacement wires are in order as well, that power lead looks worn through. Get yourself an F-type crimper made by Knipex.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Will be replacing some of the wiring here, looks like historically this is where an audio shop lifted power.

Regarding the stalk arms, would you endorse painting these black to match 68 finish?

Thanks Rich
    Rich
    68 911S
    mbr. 2393

Did the 68 have black stalks.? I thought they had chrome..?

Of course somebody, probably Jim, will prove me wrong. It is OK to be wrong on the Early 911S Registry.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Ok, i am thinking it is Euro delivered cars that had the chrome stalk.